Help Identifying Old Meter

Gray

Joined Sep 16, 2009
Hello all! I am new to the forums and am working on trying to rebuild/duplicate an older piece of equipment my grandfather made. I am trying to find a supplier for the meter movement that he used. (The original manufacturer has gone out of business) I am an electronics enthusiast/relatively new hobbyist so the depth of my knowledge is relatively shallow.

I do not have a lot of information to provide on the meter movement other than it's a "1 mil meter". (I was told the voltage cannot exceed 1 millivolt.)

The application is for a heat sensing indicator that uses two probes. If the temp from the left probe is higher than the right, the meter will swing to the left and vice versa.

An image of the meter is attached to this post. Any and all information is extremely appreciated.

Attachments

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi Gray:

What a GREAT old meter! Alas, I can't put my finger on the manufacturer, but you might try posting this on QRZ.com. There are quite a few longbeards there that can probably help you out.

Eric

Gray

Joined Sep 16, 2009
Thanks for the swift reply. The manufacturer isn't so much of a problem as identifying the type of meter it is so that when I go to other meter manufacturers I'll be able to tell them exactly what I need. (or at least make a more accurate google search lol)

Thank you very much for the lead on qrz.com. I'll definately give them a try as well.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
It's not a terribly old meter because it's got a PCB mounted to it. I'd estimate it was made in the 70's or later.

The key item you need to know is the full scale deflection current. Most of the surplus meters I have have a full scale deflection of around 50 μA. You can measure the current using a DC power supply and a resistor in series with the meter.

If you don't need an exact size replacement, you can find very nice examples of this type of meter from differential voltmeters. I got one out of a 1960's HP differential voltmeter and my Fluke 893A has one in it -- the Fluke 890 series differential voltmeters are pretty common on ebay. Some lock-in amplifiers have them too. The lock-ins can be a fabulous source of hardware -- I got a 1970's Ithaco lock-in on ebay for about $50 (it was a government boat anchor), but it was a gold mine of switches, jacks, 10 turn pots, etc.

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I second that, the style of trimpots and switches on that PCB are 1970's maybe even 1980's.

It's hard to get dual acting meters these days and they are SO handy. If that is a real sensitive one for thermocouples then even better still!

Nice meter.