Help identifying electrical component on keyboard

Draimen89

Joined Jan 11, 2017
Hello!

Need help identifying a component that has gone bad on my keyboard. It has caused F1 through F11 to stop working and is spamming F commands to my computer. I found this part right between the f11 and f12 key that looks like it got hot. The solder is bubbled and its the only one like that. All the rest of the similar parts do not look like this. There is also some slight discoloration around it.

Sorry about the poor picture, this was the closest I could get my camera to focus. The part in question is near the center labeled DA103 (upside down)

I'm looking to identify and replace the part. Its a very expensive keyboard and would hate to lose it.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank You!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The obvious first guess is a small signal diode like 1N914.
I think it's called a MELF package.
Yes, the soldering looks awful.
You could try re-melting the solder, but you better be good if you try. A beginner is going to find that diode came completely off the board, stuck to the soldering iron, and escaped into the carpet, never to be seen again.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It looks to me as if it is badly soldered rather than overheated.
If the keys are mechanical switches, check that the 'F' keys all switch correctly. One of them may be stuck closed.

Draimen89

Joined Jan 11, 2017
Great, thank you for the quick responses. I'm going to go through the switches as Albert suggested. If everything checks out I will prob order a few of the diodes and attempt to replace. Thank you for the help identifying. I am a novice when it comes to soldering but with some patience and spares :cool: I think I can get it done.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can use the diode test setting on a DVM to test the diode.
It will likely be ok to test while in-circuit.
Test in both directions (i.e. your test probes interchanged).
Compare with the other diodes.

Draimen89

Joined Jan 11, 2017
You can use the diode test setting on a DVM to test the diode.
It will likely be ok to test while in-circuit.
Test in both directions (i.e. your test probes interchanged).
Compare with the other diodes.
Well crap, It appears to be functioning just fine. It works only direction and readings match the other diodes. Maybe my best option at this point would be to re-solder.