Help identifying custom IEC connector

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by piratejacob, Aug 16, 2015.

1. piratejacob

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 16, 2015

I am working on fixing a Magic Cars ride on camaro for a family friend. I was able to get the wires fixed inside and it works again, but I have run into a dead end with the charging portion as they did not ever have the charger to begin with. It is a 6V battery in the car, but the input for the charger is unlike any connector I can find online. It is very similar to a few of the IEC plugs. Basically my question is two fold. First, can anyone help me identify the connector name or where I can find a replacement charger to keep the same connector? Or Second, is there a surefire way to know whether the conversion from 110V AC to 6V DC occurs in the charger or does it occur in the car? Most I've ever seen happen in the charger, but this car looks kinda fancy, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was in the car. I have included a picture of the charging port for reference. Thanks ahead of time for any help! IMG_4207.jpg
  2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012

It looks like the connector used by Dell on their laptop power supplies. The cord that goes from the wall to the AC/DC converter block. Can you pop off any of the internals and look to see if there is anything more inside. i guess you can start by measuring the resistance between each pin and the corresponding battery connector. Then check if each pair is one-t0-one correspondence (direct connection with low (under 10 ohm) resistance) or if both connect to both (Bridge rectifier on board with off-board transformer), or if only resistance is measured (greater than 10 ohms with no connection to the battery terminals (off-board isolating transformer). Final option is one pin has direct connection and one has no connection - this could be a switch mode power supply.

Lots of options, let us know what you find as you start testing what is connected to what.

Also, what brand is it? PowerWheels, Peg Perrego, other? any model number/manufacturer stamp. it must have something - all toys do in case of recalls.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    piratejacob likes this.
  3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    looks like an IEC60320 C7/C8 type
  4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    The C7/8 id non-polarized with notches above and below. The OP's has only one notch to make it polarized.
  5. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Seen almost all of the IEC flavors, and this ain't them. That relatively wide ramp low into the insertion makes this full custome critter to me. If the pin spacing and diameter are the same as a 2-wire IEC, a little work with an Xacto knife might get you there.