Help Identifying Component Please

jamesmcuk

Joined Oct 20, 2012
I need some detail on the component in the picture. I have tried searching for the numbers but nothing matches its appearance so I am unable to know what power handling it is capable of or anything. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Its power rating will relate somewhat to its physical size. So a 2K pot with similar configuration and size will be close.

Another approach is to understand its function in the circuit. What is it doing?

jamesmcuk

Joined Oct 20, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys

Its supposed to regulate a heater output. zero k is heater off and 2 k is heater max.

Mike are you fairly confident it will be 1/4 watt?

The size is about that of a thumb nail

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm with Mike. In that application, it is almost certainly only changing a setpoint voltage which is compared to a thermistor or other probe. In other words, very little current is passing through it and therefore a 1/4W rating should be fine. If you can get a higher rating in a similar package, you have little to lose by doing that.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In case you need another confirmation, yes. It's a 2k linear trimpot. The only problem you can cause is getting one that doesn't quite fit the legs to the holes.

jamesmcuk

Joined Oct 20, 2012
OK great. The component has 3 terminals wiper and 2 over 2k the wiper is strapped down to one of the terminals. Is this thing a rheostat potential resistor or what and does it make any difference anyway.

Thanks again

Joined Nov 30, 2010
When you connect the wiper to an end, that makes it a rheostat, but it makes no difference to you.

It's like, "If somebody pays me for a ride, does that make my car a Taxi?"
Technically, yes, but it's still a car. The only thing that changed is how you used it.

jamesmcuk

Joined Oct 20, 2012
thanks for this - i guess you can tell I a new to this but understand a little. I hope to start understanding more soon. if anyone has any pointers - no matter how basic, like educational sites etc - they would be most helpful.

All the best guys and many thanks for your help #12