Help Identify This Yellow Critter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Seeking, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Seeking

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 8, 2013
    This looks like a capacitor to me, but how would I find a replacement. I can barely read resistors (with a chart). I would be forever in your debt if I could find a place to order a couple of these.

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    It is a 3.3 microFarad capacitor. The u is shorthand for micro in the 3u3.

3. Seeking

Mar 8, 2013
    Thank you for the quick ID. How would I go about determining what voltage I should order?

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    What voltage does the circuit run at?

Supply voltage? Types of components next to it, etc?

Looks like a MLCC Ceramic Chip cap, available from 6.3V (very tiny) to 250V (large 1206 SMD). Middle range 50V are the easily used 0805 size.

Could also be a tantalum, but I doubt it for that small of capacitance. The stripe on one side does make me wonder, though.

5. Seeking

Mar 8, 2013
    The board runs at 24v ac. These appear to connect to a pair of L2722 Op Amps for dc motor control.

6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Across the power supply pins at the op amp IC itself, or as part of a filter?

Are there polarity markings on the board, such as a bold edge, an edge with + on it, shaped edges, etc? Since you state AC, that puts tantalum out as a choice.

I guess the question is, does the circuit work, or are you trying to reverse engineer the values and types from a board? Tantalum are polarized, ceramic/MLCC aren't. If the capacitor is in a location where polarity never changes, it could be either. If it is in a place where polarity does change, it would pretty much need to be ceramic.

Both types of caps are tan/yellow, and available in that value range and voltage range.

For 24Vac input, the 100V cap would be what I'd suggest (due to peak-peak voltages of AC). What are the dimensions of the one in the photo?

Seeking likes this.
  7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Show a photo of the whole board if it is not too large and tell us where the board is from.
    Why do you want a replacement?

8. Seeking

Mar 8, 2013
    I had one cap char and want to replace the one. It was working, but began to fail. It's about 1/10 inch wide. I'll pick up some 100v tantalum and give that a try. I'm not out much if it ends up being something else. I have just seen plenty of things that a single Cap swap fixed over the years. Figured it was worth a try here.

Thanks for the assist!