Help identify this trademark

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by bobbyrae, Jul 9, 2010.

1. bobbyrae

Thread Starter Active Member

May 14, 2009
    Attached is a photo of a capacitor in my receiver. Aside from what you see, the only other markings on this thing are the value and voltage: 100uF, 16v. I want to identify the mfg and cannot find that triangular trademark anywhere. I have looked at a lot of resources and it is VERY hard to research trademarks!

You should know that this receiver was made in the late 1970's.

Most of the caps in the system are Nichicon, a rare few are Elna, and then there are these with just the trademark. There's a good half dozen or so.

Any ideas? It would help in deciding what to replace them with.

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    The manufacturer is really not that important for replacing a cap, it is the value of the cap and voltage rating you should be looking at....

B. Morse

3. n1ist

Mar 8, 2009
  4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    As BMorse said, it's the capacity and the voltage rating that make it work. Dimensions may be critical, too, so get a replacement with the same diameter and lead spacing.

6. bobbyrae

May 14, 2009
    What you guys seem to be missing is that each manufacturer has a variety of capacitors they make, and each one has different intended uses. Some are for audio, some are for power supplies, some are for computers. And even when you get to a particular maker's line of audio caps, they are will have different grades. So if I know what grade was originally installed, I can try to replace it with the same or maybe better.

So maybe you and BMorse can learn something from ME!

7. bobbyrae

May 14, 2009
    That symbol is VERY close, but I see some small differences. Primarily, mine has a circle at the center, yours has a triangle. Of course, a company can modify its trademark over the years. Could also be a trademark only used in another country; never officially in the US.

I appreciate your effort.

8. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

It can be ther trademask is misformed due to the shinking of the plastic on the capacitor.

Here is a page that gives you a lot of information on capacitors:
    http://my.execpc.com/~endlr/index.html

Bertus

9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Again, it doesn't matter who makes the part. What matters is the ratings. If you have a 100µF 16VDC cap, and get one that is the same size with the same ratings, it is a direct replacement. This is how it works.

10. tom66

May 9, 2009
    You have to be aware of things like ripple current ratings, tan theta, etc. but generally replacing with a good brand of capacitor will work. Since those capacitors were manufactured in the '70s capacitor technology has probably improved so much that you can just replace it with an identical voltage rating and capacitance with no issues.

11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You can up some of the ratings, such as the voltage, and it won't make a difference. A 35V capacitor will also work, though it will likely be physically larger.

12. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

If you have to ask questions about a simple capacitor, I highly doubt you would teach me anything :cool:. Or if you did know more than me, then you wouldn't be asking complete noob questions...:D

13. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Hmmm, I missed that. I have to second BMorse's sentiment.

There are literally thousands of manufacturers, unless they are huge finding the same company is pretty futile. Even if you found the same company the odds it being the same exact part is nill, processes change. The whole reason components have ratings is so you can use what is needed, brand names for regular parts are not important in electronics, the ratings are the thing.

14. Harrington

Dec 19, 2009
    Panasonic is your best answer to this The covering normal indicates High temperature capacitors but as important the most important aspect is the operating voltage which to be on the safe side slightly overate if you can this assumes the same radial pitch This is an excellent company to buy capacitors from Good company to deal with http://www.easby.co.uk/

15. Harrington

Dec 19, 2009
    Very quick on delivery Very good on price and can supply more or less most of your needs with respect to capacitors most ratings most radial sizes and most operating temperature ranges So give them a try

16. sage.radachowsky

May 11, 2010
    Could that say "Ace" on the side of the capacitor? Maybe there was a brand in the 70s named "Ace" and they made cheap capacitors.

Caps are one of those things that lots of companies make.

I tend to agree with everyone that it really doesn't matter much, but it's fun to try to figure it out.