Help idendifying vintage part

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I was wondering why a 9 volt stomp box would need a 70 volt capacitor. It isn't 9 volts. This puppy comes with a 24V supply.
So...great place for an Orange drop if that's your preference.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/capacitors?filters=Brand=Orange Drop

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF6b39BhxIu4vNSWiN17FwoM=
Those old plastic cased electro's were particularly bulky for their capacitance value - and probably had lousy ESR to boot.

There is probably a bewildering choice of modern film capacitors that would easily fit the original space, but given the original probably didn't perform well on ESR and a film replacement should be at least as good as any modern electro - I'm wondering whether the circuit might actually not like that low ESR!

I'd go with the suggestions so far, but mindful that the much lower ESR could upset a circuit designed to use caps that weren't anything special when they were new. My best guess; it could get unstable and maybe develop parasitic oscillations on peaks - up to a few tens of Ohms resistor in series with the new cap ought to take care of it.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The OP never said anything about the component or stump box being defective. OP only wanted to identify the component.
If OP wants to replace the capacitor, how does OP know that the capacitor is defective?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The OP never said anything about the component or stump box being defective. OP only wanted to identify the component.
If OP wants to replace the capacitor, how does OP know that the capacitor is defective?
The OP asked for information on those components in case they should ever need replacement - now they have a bunch of suggestions what parts can be substituted and a couple of problems modern components could cause in an old design.

Vintage Headaches

Joined Sep 5, 2014
You both are correct. The Electric Mistress is not working and I am rebuilding the voltage regulator section(with oem parts to boot). The capacitor in question was unknown to me so I asked folks who would know. I pulled and tested it for capacitance with a Fluke DMM. It passed. Most people I do repair/rebuilds for want to keep it as close to original as possible. Difficult but not impossible.

Thanks for your input Gentlemen!!

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
You both are correct. The Electric Mistress is not working and I am rebuilding the voltage regulator section(with oem parts to boot). The capacitor in question was unknown to me so I asked folks who would know. I pulled and tested it for capacitance with a Fluke DMM. It passed. Most people I do repair/rebuilds for want to keep it as close to original as possible. Difficult but not impossible.

Thanks for your input Gentlemen!!
Many restorers hollow out old capacitors and hide modern parts in the empty casing.

IWHT that would probably be pretty difficult with a plastic case - but doable if you're determined enough.

You can get pretty small milling bits, you don't have to mill it out exactly - only a hole big enough for a smaller modern capacitor, The really difficult bit is milling through the potted end where the leads emerge - once you get to the foil, it should pull out in a spiral (watch it doesn't expand and crack the casing).

You can get 0.47uF multilayer ceramic chip that would fit the original capacitor case, but I'm not too sure about the voltage ratings available.

It would also be advisable to run it up to make sure the circuit tolerates the lower ESR before potting it with epoxy - it would be difficult to add some resistance afterwards!