Help, I need a Voltage regulator

yepblaze

Joined Jun 4, 2006
Help me please

I have a 1976 Mercury outboard motor that if run at higher RPMs might run the battery voltage as high as 16-18 volts without regulation.

They, as many older outboards, did not come with any type of regulation beyond a big lead acid 12 volt battery inline.

I'm looking for a few components I can pick up at Radio Shack, solder up, wad up inside a chunk of heat shrink,

and with a couple of "pigtails" connect between 12v and ground (neg)

to clamp, or shunt everything above say 15volts through a load like a ceramic resistor or something like that.

These high voltages can't be good on some of the onboard electronic devices.

I can usually turn on the bow and running lights and bring it down some, but I hate running around with those on, and leaving them on when I stop by accident.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I apologise for my ambiguity. What is the maximum anticipated battery charging current? (That is, how much current will you have to supply to the battery in a worst-case scenario?)

yepblaze

Joined Jun 4, 2006
Originally posted by thingmaker3@Jun 6 2006, 05:19 AM
I apologise for my ambiguity. What is the maximum anticipated battery charging current? (That is, how much current will you have to supply to the battery in a worst-case scenario?)
[post=17547]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't understand you question.

I don't think it will ever exceed 10 amps.

The charging circuit consists of a fixed multi pole stator rin inside a flywheel lined with a few perminent magnets.

According to the tach selection it's six poles per rev

It comes out in two wires, of which I have rectified with one of those little Radio Shack "cube" bridge rectifiers.

I may have spotted something on ebay looking for "voltage regulator" the other day. But was unsure as to it's application. (it's gone now)

Most time regulation would be done by regulating feild current but that isn't an option.

The old british motorcycles used to use a big zener diode mounted on a heatsink just below the headlight.