Help I might be in over my head

blustang05

Joined Dec 14, 2008
Hello I am not only new to the forum but i am new to all on this.

I have a new mustang with a Shelby style hood (knight rider). Thus i Would like to make my self a Kitt saner light... But The new KITT light is different from the original. The new kit basically has 2 light bars one on the left and one on the right.

----
The Light starts form center moving out, lighting both bars to where all leds are on. Then the bars would fad out starting form the center. Next the bars would light from the outer ends of the bar going to center until the bars are completely on and once again the bar would fad out this time form the end to the center….. and so on ----

For the past few day i have been looking and googling i have come to the conclusion that this is more involved then most of the Kitt light schematics on the web. To get the effect i want i will have to Learn how to program PICs. I Think i would be able to do it with 40 LEDs. 20 per each side. This is not a set number i realize it might depend on the chip and how many outputs it has this is just a starting point for me. One thing i would like it to be adjustable as far as speed goes. Not sure if that would be in the programing of the hardware. Can some one supply me a schematic and parts list. Or am i getting over my head?

thanks for the help

Here are the leds i am looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-50X-PLCC-4-SMD-SMT-Blue-2-Chips-LEDs-1800mcd_W0QQitemZ250340716422QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Electronic_Components?hash=item250340716422&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

here is the effect i want http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC5yJt55JJQ

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Don't use blue, unless you want to be pulled over and given a very expensive ticket by the first law enforcement officer who sees you.

Red LEDs would be a much safer bet.

It's really a bit too complex for a first timer's project. Why don't you try building a few pre-made kits first, to get your "feet wet" so to speak.

blustang05

Joined Dec 14, 2008
thanks for the reply

It Would only be used at the shows and possible my Alarm. My car is a light blue and the red leds would clash. I was unsure how complex this would be but i had to ask the question.