HELP! I am willing to pay

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by DHudson7777, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DHudson7777

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    I am willing to share 50% of the profits made from what I am trying to invent. If someone can come up with a working prototype of what I need.
    Or just sell the working prototype to me.

A patent pending status is only good for so long, I need a prototype.

Send me an email at : <SNIP>
    So I can send you the details of what I need.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    It is generally a bad idea to post your email address in an open forum since you will be inundated with spam as a result.

In order to help you we need to evaluate what you are trying to do so we can make a rational decision on how we want to be compensated. You must understand this does not reflect on your ability to succeed, only on our ability to evaluate the risks. As a bonus you get our collective experience for free that may help you avoid an expensive mistake.

Good luck

Edit: Bertus beat me to it -- LOL

3. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm always ready to hear about interesting new stuff. What's the project?

Your message suggests that you have already applied for a patent. If that's true, it must make the issue of confidentiality less critical, but ask your lawyer. I'm willing to sign a no-disclosure contract, anyway.

Of course, one would have to believe that this is a practical idea, both in terms of its functionality, and its possible ability to make any money!

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    If you read Lancaster, Don,The Case Against Patents most of you will realize that the application for a patent is probably the first mistake. To quote from that venerable gentleman:
    "Ideas are worth less than a dime a bale in ten bale lots"

What that means in practical terms is that if you are unwilling or unable to fund and develop an enterprise to commercialize your idea, you'll be much wealthier by just letting it go.

http://www.tinaja.com/glib/casagpat.pdf

I must have quoted this article a dozen times on this forum and I'll keep doing it until I drop. You must read and understand Lancaster's argument.

strantor and bug13 like this.
  5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    It's a rare patent that a company will actually go to bat for, since it's crazy expensive to defend even an "obvious" case. A patent just gives you the right to sue. It's no guarantee you'll win.

In my experience, patents are usually worth more as a form of marketing communication. They let customers know you are dedicated to a given market that interests them, by demonstrating your prowess in the area, and they let competitors know where you consider your turf to be. Stay off my lawn.

A patent is not a business plan.

GopherT likes this.
  6. DHudson7777

Jul 9, 2013
    I have a picture of what it is, I am trying to accomplish. If someone emails me, then I will be able to reply with the picture.

Thanks

7. DHudson7777

Jul 9, 2013
    I would concede that is True is some cases but not all.
    In my situation, I have an idea that I believe can make lots of profits, however I do not have the KNOW HOW, to make that idea come to pass. The problem then becomes how can I discuss my problem with others without them stealing the idea themselves. So then by getting a patent pending status, even for an idea. Secures a date. So that nobody who comes up with the idea AFTER can steal it.
    So then it seems logical to me, to get a patent pending status. Get the help you need, make a prototype of it. Get a Patent for it. Market it.
    Well that is what I think anyways.

8. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
  9. bance

Aug 11, 2012
    says it all LOL......

10. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Dude, you put your e-mail in your location! Not a good idea. :eek:

Perhaps you can reduce your problem into blocks of basic functions, or otherwise obscure whatever novelty you believe you have, in order to allow an open discussion here.

11. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    The problem is that DHudson7777 cannot receive private messages, so without that email no one can help him..

12. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    You've obviously missed the thrust of the argument. You establish the date by freely distributing your idea(s). You establish your expertise in a field and they come to you for consulting and advice. They do this not because of a single idea, but because you have hundreds or thousands of ideas to follow. Only a few of those ideas will ever be worth more than a brass farthing. You're obviously in no mode to heed good advice so proceed and be swallowed up by the sharks.

BTW if a patent won't deter an infringer, do you really believe a patent pending will have the slightest effect on anybody?

13. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    The OP emailed me their idea. I won't discuss it but I don't see anything patentable or even remarkable about it and I don't see the sort of sales that would justify it. I've no idea what part of it the OP expects to patent.

It's the sort of thing that would have to be heavily marketed, it's not a necessity but more a novelty item. It's very simple and can be described in a paragraph or two.

Note Patent Pending means you applied for a Patent and it's in the process. Doesn't mean you're thinking about it.

As a bonus once a patent is published it's much easier to copy.

My advice to the OP is to publish the diagram and description here. At least you'd have a chance of getting it past the concept stage, it is a fairly straight forward doodad that most of the members here could easily tackle.

14. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Thanks Bill. I think we kind of suspected that, but we were trying to get the OP to come to the right conclusion on his own.

15. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Seems more like a few of you are just bored and bashing this guy solely because he wants to keep is idea as private as possible..
    He asked a simple request and a few of you just started to belittle him.

The request was simple.. Send him an email if you are interested.. If not just go away..

Just because you might have a bad taste in your mouth from patent issues or whatever in your life doesn't mean everyone else does too.

16. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I don't see it quite the way you do. Nobody is bashing the OP. I used no derogatory terminology or name calling in his direction. I am however bashing the patent system and he NEEDS more information about it -- not less. I explicitly stated that my intention was to evaluate the risks involved in helping him in exchange for a share of the profits.

My purpose is to open his eyes to reality. I will not just go away, I want to prevent him from ending up in the poor house. Unlike some people I feel I have an obligation to other members of the community. They are of course free to ignore my advice -- that is their right.

Next, if you are going to post in a public forum you should have some expectation that your ideas will receive a critical evaluation. The process of stepwise refinement is how things get better.

Lastly, I'm offended at your suggestion that I've done something wrong. What gives you the right to get up on your high horse?

17. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't asking and answering questions through email that are first suggested in a forum defeat the entire purpose of this site?

If someone asks me to answer a question via PM or email, I tell them either to post it on the forums and wait for answers there, or to not ask it at all. I know several other members here feel the same way.

In my honest opinion, if you ask for someone here to help you via PM or email, then you've missed the entire point of this website and you do not belong here. End of story.

18. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    No high horse. I just don't see where he asked for you to troll into his post about your disgust for the patent system. He only mentioned that his idea was at patent pending status with no mention of any issues beyond the lack of a physical prototype or complete conceptual design. To me I see it as a guy who came to a viable electronics forum to simply solicit the help of an individual to help him take his idea from concept to reality. You had zero information about his idea or anything else before you broke into the blah..blah..blah about your perceived problems with the patent system and to imply his patent application is just plain silly. Let alone keep posting an article thats 20 some years old? The patent system works just fine for a lot of people and for others it doesn't. Email him if you are interested in helping or don't. Its plain and simple.

19. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Papabravo did absolutely nothing wrong. The OP was going against proper forum etiquette and PB had every right to speak up. This site is not here so that people can find "helpers" for projects that are outside of the site. This site is here so that any of our thousands of members can all pitch in to help any one person, and to learn from each other. Asking and answering questions over PM or email goes against the entire idea behind forums in general, especially AAC, and this thread broke the unwritten rules. Thus, the OP has a choice--ask the question here on the forum, or go somewhere else. It's as simple as that.

And yes, you are on your high horse, whether you think you are or not. You have no right to talk down to any member here, especially a highly-respected one such as Papabravo, simply because he or she is following the rules and observing proper forum etiquette.

Papabravo likes this.