Help getting PCBs manufactured

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by boriz, Nov 30, 2009.

1. boriz

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Suppose I want some small (5cm square) prototyping boards made, something like this sort of thing: , with holes along every track, and copper only on one side, but to my own design. Suppose I want (say) 10 or 20 for the initial order, but possibly many more later. Suppose I want them cheap cheap cheap.

Who do I call?

I already tried ExpressPCB and the quote for 20 is outrageous.
  2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    It might take a month for your boards to get there, but they will be about as cheap as you can get.

Fast, good, cheap. Pick two.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I buy that exact layout routinely from Tanner's for around $2.50.

I liked it enough to put it on my PaintCAD.

4. ericwertz

Aug 26, 2009
    BatchPCB would be perfect, if you wanted to pay $10 each for them. BatchPCB is great if you want exactly *one* of a board, or less than about 10-12 total.

You could probably get 20 made for $50 + ~$5 shipping at Seeed Studio.

Clearly Bill's suggestion is the best if that board works for you.
  5. spacewrench

Oct 5, 2009
    The local (Portland, Oregon) Dorkbot group runs occasional PCB group orders. We're doing one now, with a price of $3/square inch for 3 copies of your board, plus $2 for snail-mail postage. If you have Gerbers ready to go, check out the recent messages on the mailing list http:// for information about whom to contact.

I got some boards done through the first trial batch and they came out great.
  6. ke5nnt

Mar 1, 2009
    Nobody else said it, and I can't help myself...

GHOST BUSTERS! :rolleyes:
  7. boriz

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks all.

I should have mentioned that I’m in the UK. Therefore, postage from USA could be a deciding factor. A cheap UK manufacturer would be best, but I figure the cheapest option is to deal direct with a Chinese manufacturer. Any ideas?

I’m designing some small protoboards for the hobby microcontroller market. Until I’m sure they will actually sell, I’m not going to order more than say 10 or 20 in a batch. This could limit my options because the economies of scale won’t kick in until I have some turnover and can place larger orders. But I’m certainly not going to risk being left out of pocket with 200 unsellable boards.

Free board offered for information leading to a deal. :)