Help for Voltage regulator LM338 with current limitation of 5A

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It will never come close to delivering 5A when the output is adjusted down to 1.25V.
That's why I told him to switch off half the transformer in post #23, drawing 1
That will get the power down to 60 watts and the thermal resistance budget is about 0.26 C/W case to ambient or 3.79 W/C
That's a finned heat sink about 8 inches by 12 inches and an inch thick without a fan.
I guess this one is going to need a fan or forget about dialing the voltage to 1.25 volts and trying to get 5 amps out of it.

I don't really need 5 amps neither going down to 1.25v. So what's my best option with what I have?
Your best option is to tell us that about 39 posts ago. How many people do you think are going to start over now that you changed the design to an electrolyser instead of a power supply?

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I would start by looking on google for the electrolysis material, such as what metals like probes, what chemicals in use, and see what comes up with voltage ranges.

romain514

Joined Dec 16, 2015
That's why I told him to switch off half the transformer in post #23, drawing 1
That will get the power down to 60 watts and the thermal resistance budget is about 0.26 C/W case to ambient or 3.79 W/C
That's a finned heat sink about 8 inches by 12 inches and an inch thick without a fan.
I guess this one is going to need a fan or forget about dialing the voltage to 1.25 volts and trying to get 5 amps out of it.

Your best option is to tell us that about 39 posts ago. How many people do you think are going to start over now that you changed the design to an electrolyser instead of a power supply?
Well I need a power supply, thats why I'Ve posted this... I've bought the new transformer like you've told me...
By the way I did explain in post 31 that my friends need this for electrolysis.. So sorry if you didn't get that. I am new in all of this and don't understand it quite well. I'm trying to find the best way to fit his needs for a power supply.

romain514

Joined Dec 16, 2015
In the tutorials my friend see, they use 2 car batteries to make electrolysis. But my friend need a power supply with variable voltage that can be plugged in the wall. So that's why I am making him a power supply. I just want to find the best way to do it.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Now, you got the hard time, because you meet the hard power -- the real constant current source, the output current should be constant won't follow the resistance of the electrolysis liquid changing, I'm not sure you can do it, it is an expensive power device.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Well having searched Google, looks like electrolysis voltage is from 1.2V to 12V, between 3 to 10amps, depending on the solution mix.