Help for School Project

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
A few I/R leds and transistors. You could add a mcu but probably not really needed. It would make the circuit more simple but the programming harder.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If those are truly your constraints, then don't make things harder than they need to be.

Remember, YOU get to design the gates! So choose gates that are easy to detect!

I'm assuming that the idea is that the vehicle has to detect that a gate is closed and then simply wait for it to open? The issues that immediately come to mind are: (1) The vehicle is trolling down the road and comes upon an open gate. Should it proceed or should it stop and wait for the gain to cycle? If it just proceeds, it could get partway through and have the gate close on it, which I'm assuming would be bad. (2) Depending on the answer to the previous question, it isn't sufficient just to be able to detect an closed gate, but you must actually be able to detect a gate, period, open or closed.

Do you also get to design the roadway? Can it be a simple straight path?

Be sure you really know what your constraints are and what your flexibilities are. Then think about the simplest way to detect something (and whether it is open or closed) keeping in mind that YOU get to design it.

ozgunoral

Joined Dec 7, 2012
What have you looked into so far? In order to help, we need an idea of what you have done.
Actually I am not permitted to declare design specifications of the group here but what I can say is that currently we need to know how to quickly accelerate and decelerate the robot. It needs to be quick enough to get past a gate in less than half a second and can stop right after passing is so as not to crash another gate that is very close.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Curious you called the path a "track," that was my first thought: use a model railroad track for the path. The eliminates any steering issues and depending on who is interpreting the rules may allow you to remotely power the vehicle.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Curious you called the path a "track," that was my first thought: use a model railroad track for the path. The eliminates any steering issues and depending on who is interpreting the rules may allow you to remotely power the vehicle.
The newer model train engines have mcus in them. You communicate to through the tracks.

I forgot about the cars knowing the gate is closed. That is going to be the harder part. :)