help for project !

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by extremeads1, Jul 5, 2007.

1. extremeads1

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 10, 2007
    hello everyone ,
    i have thought about the project for my final year engg. diploma ,i'm interested in aircrafts and i decided to build a project on " GROUND PROXIMITY WARNING SYSTEM ".now i need assistance on schematics , i have to use 8051 or its derivates .......,any block diagrams regarding this ,or general plan about this ............................any sort of help from anyone ?????

2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    Post what you've done so far and we'll work from there.

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I think the project will be more about your selected method of detection that the MCU you wish to use.

4. mrmeval

Distinguished Member

Jun 30, 2006
    I agree with beenthere, get the sensor working with something simple like a parallel port adaptor and a PC then worry about making it stand alone.

I'm pretty sure a GPS device could do altitude though not safe enough for a real world device it's good enough for proof of concept and to allow learning all the interfacing and programming knowledge..
    After you get at least the altitude sensor/measuring device up you can work on the various other sensors needed for that type of warning. When all of them work, you'd then integrate them to a stand alone microcontroller or find out what data bus real aircraft use and find a dev kit for that to play with.

This has some of the various warnings needed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_proximity_warning_system

Now if you can get your hands on a radar altimeter -*cool* ;) When you're advanced enough you might actually be able to build one but for a beginner I'd stick to the simple sensors and do the best possible with them.

Last but not least get the system working. Then find a recording chip and have a friend record all the warnings for playback and interface that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitching_Betty