Help for Power regulation

yasinji

Joined Mar 25, 2009
I was designing a power supply from 60HZ using faraday's current law. I have used a coil which will give me 100A at primary 1V at secondary. It can go upto 25KA and down to 50A. I want to limit the voltage at secondary at 25V.
At 25KA the secondary will be 200V. This fault current can stay up to 200mS. How can I limit this voltage at 25V across the coil.

I thought of using a MOV or TVS. But the MOV it is rated for 8/20Us and TVS 10/1000us. I don't think TVS/MOV can dissipate 200V to 25V for 200ms. Whether am I correct?

Can please anyone suggest a component that can do this purpose? Please help. Thanks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Let me be crystal clear. The coil had better be part of a transformer or the mods will close this thread. A coil all by it self is NOT a transformer. You use the words "primary" and "secondary" but the circuit you are describing is ambiguous. Post a schematic of what you are doing -- that should resolve the ambiguity.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Papabravo has the right of it. We are very picky about some circuits, power supplies and LEDs to mains being two of them.

Schematic please?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Let me be crystal clear. The coil had better be part of a transformer or the mods will close this thread. A coil all by it self is NOT a transformer. You use the words "primary" and "secondary" but the circuit you are describing is ambiguous. Post a schematic of what you are doing -- that should resolve the ambiguity.
It could also be some language problems involved here. But I have to say the specs raised my eyebrow a tad. Anyway a schematic is the ultimate tool for overcoming language problems in electronics