Help Finding What I Need To Use

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by puka7752, Apr 25, 2014.

1. puka7752

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Alright, I need to know what exactly i need. I need a a relay that will do three different things. Okay, so its not on an LED circuit, but for the sake of the explanation, assume it is. So I need a relay that will switch one LED on for an adjustable amount of time (say three seconds), then switch the current LED off, and then turn the other LED on for, again, three seconds. And third, I need it to where the relay will then turn BOTH LED lights on at the same time for three seconds, and then start over. Turning the first one on, then switching to the second one, and then both. What exactly type of relay would i need? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  2. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    A relay, by itself won't do what you want. How much current and voltage does your "LED" require.
  3. puka7752

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 25, 2014
    Well you see, thats part of my issue. I'm going tomorrow to do some consulting for a large factory. The supervisor I spoke with had no knowledge of any kind of circuitry. I'm going tomorrow to look at the device to determine all of that. I was just trying to get an idea of what part he would need to achieve such a thing, so I could have something to tell him. Its an aquatic device with two motors. One on the left switches on to go right, then vice versa. And then they both switch on to go forward. What he would like done is to lower the amount of time that each motor spends running at a time (to say, three seconds). He also is trying to conserve the battery, because they are running out way too fast. I suggested switching from alkaline to lithium button cell.
  4. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    You must know what motor you will be controlling.:confused:

If you use relay logic, it could use 3 double pole interval timers.

Or a smart relay or small plc.

At component level:
    As all times are the same, use one timer (clock), and a binary 1-3 counter.

Or 0-3 using 0 as "off time", or delay start.

reset or repeat

Is PUKA a scooter? :)
  5. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    +1 on the Smart Relay, it may be slightly overkill but if this is for a large factory I would not think the small cost is that much of an issue, is this a battery fed operation?
    A button cell does not have much capacity?
    You can get smart relays that overate at 24vdc power that could be used?
    May be elaborate?