Help finding the right LED

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by BobLoblaw, Apr 30, 2012.

1. BobLoblaw

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Hi all, great forum here. I've got lots of info from this site for various projects. I'm working on converting my dirtbike from AC to DC and using LEDs instead of incandescent/halogen. I've got a rectifier in and LEDs for taillights and brakelights and need to test something for the headlights now. I haven't been able to find a product that matches my needs or the individual components to put it all together. I'm hoping someone here can help out.

Here's the requirements I'd like to use and a quick explanation why:

• MR16 housing
      • My existing headlight unit has room to snap-in two MR16 style bulbs. I'd like to stick with this to reuse existing parts. I need the "Standard 50mm tapered MR16 housing" like this here.
    • Constant current drivers with 8-14V DC input
      • As this is on a dirtbike with a dirty power supply that will have varying voltages, I'd like to run a constant current driver
    • 10-15 degree beam
      • I'd like to start here and test a narrow beam. I may end up running one 40ish degree LED for a "high beam" as well as a narrow beam but, I want to test the narrow beams now
    • ~3W of cool white
      • I think this is about the power i need. 3x1W or 1x3W or somewhere in this neighborhood should be about right

I've found tons of 1-3W LEDs in a MR16 housings but nothing that quite matches my needs...the ones with the drivers don't have the beam i need or the ones with the right beams don't have the driver. If I could find a 3W LED with no resistors in the MR16 housing, then I could run an external driver and be set. I've found the individual LEDs, lenses, and constant current drivers...but no housing that i can find to put them all together.

Anybody come across either a product that fits these needs or the components? I think just a bare MR16 housing with heatsink and room for 3W would do the trick.

Thanks!

2. russpatterson

Feb 1, 2010
    Since this is a dirtbike, I'm not sure if it violates the TOS here. But I did see a bike headlight LED light project on Instructables that used a bunch of stuff from LEDSupply.com. If you search for that you can probably get what you're looking for.

3. BobLoblaw

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I saw some similar projects on instructables but i think my biggest limitation is trying to do this in a MR16 housing. I just now found a guy on there who disassembled some MR16 halogens to replace with LEDs, but I'd still prefer to buy something.

thanks for the LEDsupply.com link, i hadn't seen that site. They're having some issues right now, but I'll look again later to see if they have the right housings.

I saw the TOS about automobiles, but thought that this wasn't a violation being an off highway vehicle. It could just as well be a bicycle. my apologies to the mods if i'm out of line.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I think that if a dirtbike has stop and taillights, it is street legal, and not restricted to the track.

Any opinions on this?

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Its modification of a vehicles lighting.. It should be locked to be on the safe side. IMO

There is TONS of information on the internet about this.. Nothing new can be stated here.