Help find battery location on curcuit board

morrell

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Lets recap this.
Under the main board are no components, right?
On the bottom of the display is nothing but drivers, and uderneath it are just a few parts none of which is a battery.
The only remaining things are:
- the metal box on the far end of the unit, does it have some sort of connections? what is it for?
- the lid, somthing could maybe be under the keypad, but I doubt that
- the power supply, could that have some battery in it?

anyway, what is the battery used for?
Main board underside has nothing but solder holding in top side parts.

The large metal box not only has solder points under the main board, but is also soldered onto the face of the board and has no connections to anything and sounds hollow when tapped. The keypad solder points on the top cover appear to touch it when timer is screwed back together, but I don't know that for definate. But I have no idea what it does.

The mains power supply is an AC adapter with a lead that plugs into the timer. I have just tested the adapter with my other timer and so it is not that causing the 'Battery needs replacing' message.

I have no idea what the battery is used for as the timer does not work if not connected to the mains.

The manufacturer Deister Electronics of Germany will not supply any type of technical specification, or sell parts and expect the timer to be returned to their UK office for repairs.

I do thank you for your time.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What is the exact purpose of this device?

The other option would be a coin cell battery, from 1/4" to 1" in diameter, and about 1/16" thick, to save settings in NVRAM or a Real time clock. Does it have a date/time that doesn't need to be set each power up? That type of battery can be hidden in many places, back of the LCD, under keypad, etc.

Does the device function even though it warns about the battery at power up?

morrell

Joined Jan 21, 2013
What is the exact purpose of this device?

The other option would be a coin cell battery, from 1/4" to 1" in diameter, and about 1/16" thick, to save settings in NVRAM or a Real time clock. Does it have a date/time that doesn't need to be set each power up? That type of battery can be hidden in many places, back of the LCD, under keypad, etc.

Does the device function even though it warns about the battery at power up?
It is an electronic timing device that records date and time when the racing pigeon arrives back from a race (pigeon wears a special ring).

The date and time is set in my own timer from a race control master timer when the pigeon is scanned before leaving for the race. I have not looked under the keypad (see image) as this is my first time even delving inside anything with a pcb and I'm concerned all the keys will drop out if I undo that pcb. Do you think they will?

The timer does still work normally once one escapes from the warning screen.

I would add their £57 charge increases to £75 plus postage if the replacement is done during the race season April to September.

http://www.kdwebsolutions.com/test/diester_battery_keypad.jpg

Siksissk

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I does not look as if a battery would be under that PCB.

This has a feel of a "lifetime counter" if you can, try and set the date back a year, and see how the unit behaves then.

morrell

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I does not look as if a battery would be under that PCB.

This has a feel of a "lifetime counter" if you can, try and set the date back a year, and see how the unit behaves then.
Only the club master timer can set the member's timer, and that time is set in the club master timer by an automatic time signal from a national radio receiver.

I have a feeling the battery is a lithium-polymer housed inside the metal box. It may not sound like a battery because the lithium cell is like an aluminum pocket of "stuff" and not hard like a traditional AA battery.

The metal box would make sense to prevent the battery from being punctured by the keypad.

That could also explain the high cost of replacing the battery because they would have to desolder the metal box to access the battery.

morrell

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I have a feeling the battery is a lithium-polymer housed inside the metal box. It may not sound like a battery because the lithium cell is like an aluminum pocket of "stuff" and not hard like a traditional AA battery.
The metal box would make sense to prevent the battery from being punctured by the keypad.
That could also explain the high cost of replacing the battery because they would have to desolder the metal box to access the battery.
Would that battery you mention have solder points on the pcb underside to do a volt check to confirm battery is there?
See image with white rectangle showing area below can on pcb
http://www.kdwebsolutions.com/test/diester...an_pcb_rear.jpg

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
From the looks of things, the metal cover is for EMI shielding of what is under it. Based upon the number of via points on the back side, there are a lot of things under there. Looking at the larger solder points (not the 4 in the lower left corner) I would bet that they are for a coin battery holder or coin cell tabs. Good luck at removing that shield. Solder sucker would be my first choice followed by solder wick. After battery replacement, the shield would also need to be reinstalled.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
By the time you find the battery, remove the safety cage, remove the original battery, figure out the specifications of that battery (amp hour and discharge rate), find a company that supplies a suitable replacement battery and get it shipped to the UK (air freight is banned on bare lithium batteries), then you'll have to reconnect / solder the new battery into place and get the cage back into place. Finally, you'll have to convince the racing club that you didn't tinker with the clock and it will record / report accurately. I'd say, pay the £75 and get it done right. This hobby seems important to you and a dead battery half way through the season, or an accusation of a tainted device or other problem seems like it will disappoint you. I can see that £75 seems like a lot for a battery but, in the end, the assurance it was done right might be worth it.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
When it is timing your pigeon, is it running on batteries, or off of a line power adapter?

If it is running off an adapter, will the officials disqualify you for having a battery warning?

If setting the clock is regulated, I'd imagine taking it apart and changing stuff would be as well.

morrell

Joined Jan 21, 2013
By the time you find the battery, remove the safety cage, remove the original battery, figure out the specifications of that battery (amp hour and discharge rate), find a company that supplies a suitable replacement battery and get it shipped to the UK (air freight is banned on bare lithium batteries), then you'll have to reconnect / solder the new battery into place and get the cage back into place. Finally, you'll have to convince the racing club that you didn't tinker with the clock and it will record / report accurately. I'd say, pay the £75 and get it done right. This hobby seems important to you and a dead battery half way through the season, or an accusation of a tainted device or other problem seems like it will disappoint you. I can see that £75 seems like a lot for a battery but, in the end, the assurance it was done right might be worth it.
That was excellent advice since all clocks are checked for seal breaks at the club before starting scanning the leg ring. However, I'm going to replace this clock with another make at £150 which starts me off with a new 5 year guarantee and with the big plus of their electronic leg rings being 40% cheaper than Deister.
I shall use this timer for young bird training.

CHANGING SUBJECT SLIGHTLY:-
What are readers views on cutting a window on the can top and afterwards sealing with metal duct tape?

Last edited:

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
I think that rather than metal duct tape, spot soldering would be better. The adhesive on the tape would be an insulator. Let us know if a battery is really under the cover. Inquiring minds want to know.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The problem with lithium batteries is that they can catch fire if there is a short or problem during charging (see Boeing Dreamliner). The goal for any design is to keep anything that can burn away from the battery. Duct tape looks like metal but it is plastic and adhesive and burns like most other organic things. Try to save the case and re-install like the OEM's design.