Help designing a Schmitt trigger please

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugen39

Joined Mar 1, 2012
Here is what I am trying to achieve: a circuit that will have an output of 0V when the input is 8V and below, and 12V when the input is 12V. My limited knowledge tells me this is a Schmitt trigger but I don't know how to approach it.
Any help deeply appreciated.
Eugen

eugen39

Joined Mar 1, 2012
Would this make more sense: when 0V < input < 10V then output is 0V and when input > 10V then output is 12V ?
Thanks

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Lower threshold = 8V
Upper threshold = 12V
Thanks
You should probably leave a little room for voltage tolerances.
8.5V and 11.5V might be better.
What is the impedance of your source?
Do you have a steady 12V supply available for powering the Schmitt trigger?

eugen39

Joined Mar 1, 2012
OK, but where does the voltage come from that you are sensing?
My son and I are working on a project on a Lego Mindstorms. We are trying to build an add on and the output from the Lego is 8V in one state and 12V in another state but the motor we are using doesn't work well at 8V. I tried using a 12V relay and an external 12V power source to eliminate the 8V state but the relay is activated by the 8V source too. So basically we need that relay turned on at 12V but stay off at 8V.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Here are two ways to do it. The threshold is about 10V in both of them, with a few hundred millivolts of hysteresis.
If it is unstable due to noise on the input, you can raise the hysteresis by reducing the value of R5 to a value as low as 200k.
The relay turns off when the input is high, so you will need a normally closed relay. If you don't have one, we can modify the design.

Attachments

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Two transistors will make a schmidt trigger, the benefit of course is that one of the transistors can be the one driving the relay. You can easily set it up for 8v and 11v thresholds.

Total cost 2 transistors and about 4 resistors, and a diode for the relay coil.

eugen39

Joined Mar 1, 2012
Here are two ways to do it. The threshold is about 10V in both of them, with a few hundred millivolts of hysteresis.
If it is unstable due to noise on the input, you can raise the hysteresis by reducing the value of R5 to a value as low as 200k.
The relay turns off when the input is high, so you will need a normally closed relay. If you don't have one, we can modify the design.
Thanks. I will order the parts and put it together. Radioshack doesn't carry all of them. I will let you know how it turned out.
Thanks again.

eugen39

Joined Mar 1, 2012
Two transistors will make a schmidt trigger, the benefit of course is that one of the transistors can be the one driving the relay. You can easily set it up for 8v and 11v thresholds.

Total cost 2 transistors and about 4 resistors, and a diode for the relay coil.
I need a little bit more than that, I am a beginner.
Thanks

eugen39

Joined Mar 1, 2012
A simple 555 also make a high drive Schmitt Trigger, inverting of course.

555 Schmitt Trigger
What did I do wrong: I connected the input to 2 and 6 pins (and the 8 and 4 pins to +12V and 1 to ground, of course) and the relay to the 3 output and ground but nothing happened. The relay didn't click whether the input was 8V or 12V. At one point I must have shorted another pin because the 555 became very hot.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.