Help Design

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Yes I plan on having an arm attached under the deck gun, as a servo turns the gun it`s arm pushes a switch mounted in several spots of travel.
I'll assume you have or will work out the mechanics of trigging the switches. I'll assume a worst case scenario where the servo stops on one of the switches keeping it triggered. In that case, we'll want to use an edge-trigger so the LED and sound don't continue to go off repeatedly.

Will the switches be normally open (N.O.) or normally closed (N.C.) or both?

As that switch is pressed and released, I want a momentary flash of the Red LED as well as the sound from the audio circuit to activate, both are not wanted to be on for long time, think of a cannon firing, bang/flash, don`t know the second length but I think you might have the idea of what I`m after. All this using maybe 555 circuits OR other?
I'll review the capabilities of the sound module again. I believe it has information on how it will operate under a number of conditions with options, so we may not need any additional circuitry.

Can you locate the sound you're interested in playing and see how long it is? Maybe post a link to the sound file?

Also picture how long you want the LED on with respect to the sound length. For example, say the sound is a "BOOM" that lasts half a second. Then the LED will be on as long as the sound. However, another scenario is maybe a BOOM with a whistle (indicating a missile is traveling through the air). In this scenario, the sound is on for a couple of seconds or more, but you'd only want the LED lit for say half a second.

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hi Elec_mech

The switches I plan on using are N.O so when they are contacted, the circuit is closed and my effects are triggered. For a one time effect, if I want another round of effects then the same switch has to be re triggered.

As for the LED flash, I think a short duration like you mentioned in the later part of your post is about right, flash is shorter duration then sound, remember light travels faster than sound. Also it is a WWII Canadian Corvette with it`s main deck gun, 5" I believe, as soon as I find the sound file I will post it here as well.

Thanks

George

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Alright, I think this will work. I've randomly shown five switches, but you can use more or less.

When a switch is pressed, pin 2 of the 555 is briefly pulled low through C1 which turns on the 555. R1 and C1 prevent the 555 from staying on in the event one of the switches is pressed but not released.

VR1, R3, and C2 control the length of time the LED is on. It can set set through VR1 from about 50ms to almost 5 seconds. If you want to save parts/money and never need to change the LED on time, then leave off VR1 and connect R3 directly to Vcc. You'll need to experiment with the R3 value to get the desired on time.

C3 and C4 act as noise filters to the rest of the circuit or other circuits connected to the same battery pack.

K1 is a normally open relay whose contacts are connected to the switch of the sound module. You can connect them in parallel to sound module switch if you'd like to be able to test the sound module independently. The coil voltage of the relay must match the Vcc used (battery voltage). I only selected a relay because it is simple to connect. However, a relay adds cost and space and if you want to use something smaller and less expensive, I imagine a transistor or MOSFET will do the job.

Before recommending a circuit however, we'll need to know how the switch is wired in the sound module. I imagine it is a low side switch meaning one side of the switch is connected directly to GND and the other is connected to an IC pin. When the switch is pushed, the IC pin is pulled low (GND). Of course, it could be a high side switch or something else entirely. Easy to determine once you have the module and can test it with a volt meter. You may also ask the company if they could explain how the switch works.

The sound module would have to be set up as One-Shot Non-Retriggerable I think - you'll have to experiment here. You want the entire sound file to play one time once the switch is triggered briefly, but also stop once the file plays even if the switch is held down (to be safe).

Attachments