Help creating ohms law spreadsheet for mixed series parall

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Netwaves, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Netwaves

Thread Starter Member

Feb 9, 2015
    This is personal homework, not for school. I'm new to electronics and trying to create a spreadsheet to calculate my voltages needed for a specific outcome. I'm fine with calculating stand alone series or parallel DC but I'm having issues conceptualizing and creating a spreadsheet for the mixed circuit. In the circuit and spreadsheet below I am trying to create a spreadsheet that will allow me to put in different resistor values for R1, R2 and R3 and see the impact they have on O1 VDC input. Areas where I will plug in the resistor values are shaded. The Calculated area I need is in yellow. I have built this circuit on a breadboard and it does work fine, but I want to understand the math. I used variable resistors at first, and after the circuit was stable then I measured them and replaced them with normal resistors.

Here's my thought process:
    R1 and O1 should be calculated in series?
    R2, R3, and R4 should be calculated in parallel?
    Then R1/O1 should be calculated and considered in parallel to R2, R3 and R4?
    C1 is a 100 micro-farad electrolytic capacitor to filter out the noise caused by R4 piezo buzzer.

* PS2501 Optoisolator
    ** Piezo Buzzer 6V-24VDC
    ** Piezo Buzzer - .00625A measured with unit in series with mulitmeter at 12VDC
    ** Piezo Buzzer – 1920 Ohms calculated by R=I*E (R=.00625*12VDC)

TIA

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    I am not sure what you are trying to do, but here are the node voltages and branch currents for the two cases: switch open and switch closed. In this mode, LTSpice is like a Spread Sheet that understands electrical schematics...

14a.gif

14b.gif

Netwaves likes this.
  3. Netwaves

Thread Starter Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Thanks. At least with this I can check my spreadsheet calculations once I create them.

4. Netwaves

Thread Starter Member

Feb 9, 2015
    I'm breaking it down by section. Can someone check the results of this spreadsheet for resistors in series. I want to make sure my calculation are correct. Everything in this sheet is calculated except G4/12VDC and B1/Resistor 1 through B5/Resistor 5. Thanks.

5. Netwaves

Thread Starter Member

Feb 9, 2015
    I'm breaking it down by section. Can someone check the results of this spreadsheet for resistors in parallel. I want to make sure my calculation are correct. Everything in this sheet is calculated except G4/12VDC and B1/Resistor 1 through B5/Resistor 5. Thanks.