[Help] Circuit Design

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dxTime, Apr 30, 2015.

1. dxTime

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 14, 2015

Rather new to all this so looking for your help on my current project.

There are 4 switches in total. The switches operate different components of a process such as when the system is turned 'on' it allows for the user to power a magnet to hold a sample (The magnet is linked to transformer and input is 12V). If switch 1 is not 'on' than Switch 2 is not functional. IF Switch 1 is 'on' than when Switch 2 is pressed the sample is released and it passes through a light gate which is Switch 3. So I will need to time the time taken for the sample to pass trough the light gate from when Switch 2 is pressed and the sample is released. Also I would need to pass that information into a computer.
    Switch 4 is the used to power on the magnet regardless of weather Switch to is on or off.

The owner of this account suggested that PLC should be used, however it seems to be overly complex for such a simple scenario.

Thank you for your time and any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    What is the nature of, or how do you intend to pass the info to the computer, does this consist of a time period? and does the computer mean a PC? If so what software is used?
  3. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    You need to define your requirement in more detail.
    A diagram showing how the components connect and a flowchart to describe the logic will help.
    What information do you need to pass to a computer? using what interface?
    Whatever the details; a micro-controller would probably provide the easiest solution.
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
  4. pwdixon

Oct 11, 2012
    Sounds like a very simple system at first sight, should be something a micro-controller could do easily, need more info though.
  5. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    diode logic could easily provide the switch functions you describe, but an A to D converter would be needed to gather the timing data and render it useable by a computer program. A Custom software solution might also be run, and the computer itself could perform the timing routine from inputs linked to the switches.
  6. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    And one more question... How accurate does this time need to be? Is milliseconds sufficient accuracy, or what accuracy is required?
  7. dxTime

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Thank you for your eagerness to help. I am currently on a business trip and will post the detailed requirements tomorrow.