help choosing a mosfet

c.marsh

Joined May 16, 2009
need help picking a mosfet for 12v circuit that can handle 2amps and trigger off less than 5v.

also, if leds are hooked up to it and triggered from a micro controller, the leds are told to fade, will the mosfet interfere with that? or wil they work no problems?

c.marsh

Joined May 16, 2009
its a lighting kit,

the micro controller, an attiny23** chip tells the led to fade up (fading on)

the mosfet cannot interfear with this process though which is why i need help picing out the right one, also i cant find one for the stated ratings or close to

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
also, if leds are hooked up to it and triggered from a micro controller, the leds are told to fade, will the mosfet interfere with that? or wil they work no problems?
Take a look at Bill's blog, specifically MOSFETs and Driving MOSFETs. Depends on the frequency you'll be driving them, but you can add driver in the worse case.

also, got any others which are easier to source in the uk without costing so much?
I'm not very familar with stores in the UK, but I'm aware of Farnell and Maplin. Maplin doesn't appear to have a parameter search function, but Farnell does. Go here and select the desired ratings - be sure to select larger ratings as well when appropriate to give you a larger selection to choose from, e.g., Vds 12V or higher, 2A or more, etc.

Being in the U.S., I like Digikey or Mouser, but shipping from here to the UK wouldn't be financially practical. You can also look at futurelec.com - ships from Asia, but shipping rates aren't bad and prices for parts are usually pretty inexpensive.