help:car parking counter

engr486

Joined Jul 31, 2008
i m a beginner....i wanna make a project of car parking counter!in this i need to count the number of cars in entering the parking barrier using upcounter n cars leaving using down counter....and not more than 50 cars can enter this barrier so plz tell mee the link or schematic +coding...if any one plz help me out!!i m a beginnner i need ur hepl its urgent!!

Voltboy

Joined Jan 10, 2007
Doing that with a MCU would be really easy, each cars that enter close a switch and a little program in the MCU is enough for what you want.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Is this a real project you want to build or a school assignment you need by a deadline? There is a section of this forum dedicated to homework.

If it is something you want to build, what is your time-frame and why the urgency?

John

engr486

Joined Jul 31, 2008
YEAH THIS MY PROJECT...I NEED TO SUBMIT IT IN NEXT 4 DAYS....Im quite helpless...coz i m a beginner plzz help me out!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Counting cars sounds easy, but there are always nagging details. What work have you done to date with respect to just doing the count? That is, will it be some sort of beam break device, magnetic, mechanical, other? What type of output will your counter have? What type of output will you need to provide to the user?

John

engr486

Joined Jul 31, 2008
do u knw any link where i could find the project...any of the microcontroller(8051) site where schematics n coding is available for this project?

foundit

Joined Mar 9, 2008
Hi engr486

I think u can do it with simple counter chip with up/down count feature
and few binary out put pins
you can look in www.alldatasheet.com and type counter in the search box
I did that and got more than enough chips,
for example DM54LS491 - 10-Bit Counter - National Semiconductor that u can down load its data sheet and work on it:rolleyes:
then you need two couples of infra red breaking bridge one of them at the entarnce (act on the upcounting pin) the second at the exit (act on downcounting pin, ... so no need for uC).
Note that the output is binary may be u need to convert it to decimal by a certain chip then output it on led 7 segments display....:rolleyes:

hope it will help

good luck;)

engr486

Joined Jul 31, 2008
well its my microcontroller's circuit project i cannot make it with using uC.....binary up/down counter is a part of it!!!

Metalfan1185

Joined Sep 12, 2008
is this indoor or outdoor? sounds like you need to experiment with the triggering. maybe you could find a garadge door sensor if the lighting permits. do the cars enter and exit through the same space? or is there one way entrance and one way exit? you may not need a MCU, you may be able to use digital logic, you would need a couple of 7 segment displays, a few 7447's and some binary counters, maybe a 74LS193 or a 74192. use a monostable 555 to set the trigger level from the garage door sensor, and drive the binary counter to count up and the 7447's will display the result. dont forget a button for the reset and use the count down pin on the 74193 for when a car exits out of the other lane.

this may not be exactly what your trying to do, but im trying to offer ideas. I hope this helps!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
There are contradictions here. First you say " i need to use 8051 in it". Then you say " i cannot make it with using uC.....binary up/down counter is a part of it!!!".

So far we have no idea of the hardware requirement or the means of keeping the count of cars.