Help calculating impedance in RLC circuits please!

cfinley

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Dear all,

Having some issues with coursework. I've attached a circuit with some workings, (just ignore these), and I'm trying to calculate the impedance with little success. If anyone can get their head around the circuit I'd appreciate the help. I believe the equation I need to use is the following:

Z=√R2+(Xl - Xc)2

If this is the case and if anyone is able to show me how to substitute the data and calculate Z?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
the equation is correct (to find MAGNITUDE of impedance).

Impedances are
R=R (obviously)
Xl=jωL
Xc= 1/(jωC)

where
ω=2πf

and f is frequency of the AC source in Hertz.
when using your equation, only take magnitudes of each value.
for example

|Xl|=ωL
|Xc|= 1/(ωC)

also make sure to use PROPER units if you want to have ANY hope of ever getting this right.

for example:

k=kilo=x1000
M=mega=x1000000

m=milli =/1000
μ = micro = /1000000

or in your case:
R=2700000 Ω (=2.7 x 1000000 )
C= 0.000300 F (=300 / 1000000 )
L= 0.3 H (=300 / 1000 )

Last edited:

cfinley

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Thanks so much for your help and a lot of that makes total sense,(especially the quantifying of units!) However I'm probably being a total numpty but even with your useful data i'm still struggling to find 'Z'-don't I need to calculate 'X' also in addition to the R,C and L you've been kind enough to help with!?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
He provided you with the relations needed to calculate Xl and Xc from L and C near the top of his response.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
There is no 'X', it is 'Xl' for inductor and 'Xc' for capacitor (subscript indicates type of device and L=inductor, C=capacitor; i just used lowercase).

you just need frequency, everything else is there, just plug in values...
calculate ω
get R (given)
calculate |Xl|
calculate |Xc|
apply equation with root of squares...

that will give you magnitude (only) of the impedance Z.

Last edited:

cfinley

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Ok I think I'm getting there...slowly! Only problem i'm not too sure about now is now is how do I go about calculating the frequency,(as this is not given in the question)? Also what does ω denote? Is this the frequency? Once I've nailed this frequency business I'm sure I'll be there!

Many thanks again for your helpful guidance!

Ps Sorry, I'm new to all this!

cfinley

Joined Jul 21, 2012
I've just reread your post and noted that:

ω=2πf

so does not quantify frequency. However in order to calculate ω do I need to know the frequency of the circuit as this is not given in the question. Do I have all the data provided in the question in order to calculate this myself? In addition to this would you mind helping me out with the "π" also, ie:

ω = 2 x ? x f (frequency I do not have!)

Many thanks, (once again!)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
would you mind helping me out with the "π" also, ie:

ω = 2 x ? x f (frequency I do not have!)
The 'π' is this font's (rather pathetic) rendering of pi (3.14159....).

What is it that you are being asked to do in this problem? If all that has been given is what's in that diagram and you are asked to find the impedance, then you will have to find it as a function of the unspecified frequency.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
yes, pi=3.14159...
and yes, you need to know frequency...
f is frequency in Hz or 1/s
ω is angular frequency in rad/s
f is in Hz or cycles/s or periods/s (the 'cycles' is part of the unit).

ω is angular frequency in rad/s or 1/s (the 'rad', while descriptive, is ultimately dimensionless).