Help buying an oscilloscope

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Do you absolutely need one RIGHT NOW? If not, then buying a handheld one would be a waste of money.

I got a Tektronix 422 dual-channel 15MHz scope for free, and spent $49 on an HP 1741A dual-channel 100MHz scope off ebay. If you can wait a week or two, I would recommend not buying a handheld one at all, but use the time to phone the hospitals and universities instead.

However, if you do need one NOW, don't buy a handheld one, look for a USB one. They will work much better, probably cost less, and will have better specs. And as long as you follow the directions, you shouldn't blow anything up.

Matt

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
I'll wait for a while then; I can continue to do simulations until then. :/

I was thinking that if you can make an oscilloscope with the Arduino and an LCD screen, you can also make it without the LCD. Just looked that that circuit, and there's nothing there; just the Arduino, the LCD and the buttons. Since you control the Arduino with the buttons, the arduino sends the information to the software, and then the software sends the results to the arduino which sends it to the LCD, you could have the software send the results to the monitor on the PC instead and save the last 2 steps. Can't you?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I was thinking that if you can make an oscilloscope with the Arduino and an LCD screen, you can also make it without the LCD. Just looked that that circuit, and there's nothing there; just the Arduino, the LCD and the buttons. Since you control the Arduino with the buttons, the arduino sends the information to the software, and then the software sends the results to the arduino which sends it to the LCD, you could have the software send the results to the monitor on the PC instead and save the last 2 steps. Can't you?
I don't think it works that way adam. I mean sure, you could swap out the LCD with different hardware, but there are several problems with that. The main one is that it would require special drivers for your new display. The project you suggest probably uses a standardized LCD panel with all the control circuitry built in. You'll lose all that if you switch to a different display, and if you did that you'd have to change the Arduino program significantly (it uses mainly the included libraries for the specified LCD. Again, you'll lose all that if you switch to a different display). Furthermore, you would have to write software programs that drive the new display to work with the arduino. It's just a lot more complex and you'd make a LOT more steps for yourself that you wouldn't need to do if you just used an LCD.

I didn't look at your specific Arduino project, but I can almost guarantee everything I just said applies.

Please just trust me and don't use handheld, homemade, or USB scopes if you intend to do serious work with it. It's definitely worth waiting and getting a decent, REAL scope, even if you have to pay some for it.

Matt

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
I was thinking on changing the TFT output towards Arduino's Graph, which basically displays graphs on the PC. But I was going even further than that: I was thinking on writing the software from scratch and add functions on a need basis... I know, a lot of work; but I would be really entertained until I get a real oscilloscope. :)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I was thinking on changing the TFT output towards Arduino's Graph, which basically displays graphs on the PC. But I was going even further than that: I was thinking on writing the software from scratch and add functions on a need basis... I know, a lot of work; but I would be really entertained until I get a real oscilloscope. :)
Well that's entirely up to you. If you really want to go through all that, then be my guest. You seem pretty set on it, so I guess all I can do is wish you the best of luck. Trust me, you'll need it ;)

Regards,
Matt

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Nah, there's no graph function (it's just the name of a program example); you need an external program to read the data from the serial port -and also program it-.

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
That's what I was assuming, but I only just began with the Arduino. I've mainly been working with PICs, and was only recently given an Arduino.
I bought one a couple of weeks ago, but I barely use it. Did a couple of the examples -you know, flashing leds, the alphanumeric LCD, etc... but soon got a bit bored of just copying the examples to remove everything once it worked to clean the breadboard for the next.

I was hoping to design my own circuits, but that's not going to happen for now. :D

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Sorry if this has been mentioned already but I've been away so I am just catching up. I have a Hanteck USB scope similar to this one - http://r.ebay.com/Pdr0Af - but mine is an older model. I find it to be pretty good, especially if you have a laptop. The software has a decent range of features.

There are lower bandwidth versions available for less money.

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Thanks, just bade on it.

I checked ebay.co.uk just yesterday, and so a lot of cheap oscilloscopes. The problem is that most are for collection. In ebay.es you don't find those bargains.

Nice scope, but don't forget that Adam is in Spain....
They seem to ship to Spain for £26 (around $40).

Right, my concern is the shipping cost and if Spain has the same electrical plug as the UK? That's something I'm not well-versed in. :p
Pictures of the product on the back, show a configurable input circuitry. If you can find an adapter for a UK plug, you're good to go.
I lived in the UK, so I'm used to changing the plugs back and forth. The current is the same 220-240V

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but I've been away so I am just catching up. I have a Hanteck USB scope similar to this one - http://r.ebay.com/Pdr0Af - but mine is an older model. I find it to be pretty good, especially if you have a laptop. The software has a decent range of features.

There are lower bandwidth versions available for less money.
I saw USB oscilloscopes of the same brand for £50 (around $75) but I've been told they are no good; just a bit better than the handheld.

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Thanks Matt,

The auction for the other ends tomorrow, so I'll have to wait; otherwise I can win both. For now it's only going for £5 + £26 shipment

The other one also looks better to me; well, at least it has more buttons. :)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Thanks Matt,

The auction for the other ends tomorrow, so I'll have to wait; otherwise I can win both. For now it's only going for £5 + £26 shipment

The other one also looks better to me; well, at least it has more buttons. :)
Understood. Let me know how things turn out!

Matt