Help!! Blonde in need of assistance!!

dumb blonde

Joined Oct 9, 2009
I purchased an electric chair prop from a 2nd hand thrift store for my halloween props for dirt cheap. no one there could tell me how to connect it. It came with 2 boxes Acopian Regulated Power Supply
Mod # A34H850
Mod # A015Hx800
Each box has 7 screws
+ + - -
out sens out AC AC GRND

The larger box has 2 blue wires that red V.ADJ COARSE

The motor has no writing on it at all and has 4 wires red, brnish grey, and 2 blue.

Please , is there a gentleman who can tell me what to do to make this thing work? I am a single mom who doesn't know a thing about electronics. Red to where, blue to where would be perfect. Also is there anything else i would need 2 purchase. Thanks for helping a lady out. See attached photos

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I understand that power supply perfectly, but not what you're doing with it. The AC is for the power, and in house voltage. Most modern plugs have two AC leads and the ground, which is what your supply has. The + and - sense connect to the respective + and - inputs, preferably using wires going to the load (motor). You can just short them at the box, + to + sense, - to - sense, and it will work, but not as well.

The motor I can't hazard a guess. There should also be a control box if I understand you correctly.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Welcome to AAC!

You see where it has both "AC" ternimals in the picture, and to the right of that is ground? Well that's where you would plug it into a AC outlet. Since it is AC, either ternimal can plug into the input of the socket, but make sure you have a wire going from the GRND ternimal to the actual ground in the socket. I attached a diagram so you know what is what. The +AC you can just connect to the right AC, and the -AC to the left. Then have a ground wire going to the ground ternimal. Then you'll be able to get your output from the +Out and the -Out. Do you have a manual for it? I'm not sure what the Sense ternimals are for, maybe you would put a power resistor in there with a certain value.

Attachments

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Do you have a manual for it? I'm not sure what the Sense ternimals are for, maybe you would put a power resistor in there with a certain value.

Electronerd - Here is the manual for Both PS's .....

DBlonde - It seems as you will only need one of those to run the motor, if I get it right, the motor is mounted on the display with some kind of counterweight on the shaft and when the shaft spins, the display jerks around as if being electrocuted.... If you connect the motor leads directly to the power supplies output, the motor will be on all the time.... which I am sure you would want it to only move when someone comes near it.... so you will need some kind of sensor to trigger it......

The motor leads are - Red = V+, Gray = V-, the 2 blue could be for an electromagnetic clutch/brake??? Can't really tell from the picture...... Do you have a Multimeter??

Attachments

Last edited:

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Maybe you can provide some pictures of the control box, assuming that the chair and the control box did not get seperated before you took possession of the chair.

hgmjr

dumb blonde

Joined Oct 9, 2009
yes BMorse is right about the mount and the weight is off center. besides the chair itself and the pictures that is all the components that it came with hgmjr. i connected it up like eloctonerd had insrtucted and it makes a chattering humm but the shaft does not turn. so i unplugged it very fast. going to the first link provided by BMorse a paragraph reads a sawtooth oscillation? that is kind of what the motor sounds like. should i and how can i reduce the load and what do they mean by that. sry guys i really don't know anything about this stuff! thank you all so very much for your help!

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
...... the display jerks around as if being electrocuted....
CAUTION: There may be a real electrocution unless great care is observed. I'm surprised nobody has warned the OP about the risk of working with home AC line voltages, especially with these exposed terminals and the likely case that this could be setup outside.

Given that this question is from an unqualified person, we should recommend that she have a qualified electrician wire this up properly. I'm sure the OP is much more intelligent than indicated by the humorous name she used, but this is very risky business that is best done by a professional.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Thanks Steveb for keeping safety in mind.

Another very important omission is mention of a fuse and fuse holder.
The fuse should be between the wall outlet AC hot (normally a black wire) and a power switch. Specifications for fuses are in the manuals.

The terminal strip on the power supply is exposed. To reduce the possibility of electric shock, the terminal strip or the entire supply should be covered with either an electrically insulating material or a grounded metal enclosure.

bigcape

Joined Sep 18, 2009
Your photos are blury! House electricity, especialy how this thing needs to be hooked up is going to require cutting up an extention cord.

A friend of mine was KILLED last week from cutting an extention cord that was plugged in---- LEAVE THIS PROJECT TO A LOCAL PROFESSIONAL!

Contact the Acopian
Application Engineering Department:

<snip>

Open M-F EST 8-5PM

610-258-5441

Geeze these power supplys are $500.00 U.S. bucks too!

Last edited:

dumb blonde

Joined Oct 9, 2009
I appreciate your concerns about safety. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend bigcape. My sincere condolences. Although i might be a bumb blonde, I am not an idiot. I took a cord from an old hairdryer and made my connection. I release any and all liability to anyone, as well as this site, members or any affiliates for the advise given henceforth. If I think there is any danger in the information given I take full responsibility and hold no one liable for any damages or injuries that may occur while attempting this or any projects in the future. Please! What do I do next? Besides pay for a professional. I would like to learn a little more about working w/ small motors for future props. Thank you.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I appreciate your concerns about safety. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend bigcape. My sincere condolences. Although i might be a bumb dumb ;) blonde, I am not an idiot.
Just poking a little fun there, I know you have a good sense of humor.

I took a cord from an old hairdryer and made my connection.
While hairdryer cords will have fairly high current carrying ability, they generally do not have a ground wire. For safety, the power supply must be grounded. It must also be fused, and have a switch to disconnect the power while plugged in. The wires would also need properly swaged/soldered terminals for connection to the terminal strip. This is difficult to impossible to explain fully via the Internet.

I release any and all liability to anyone, as well as this site, members or any affiliates for the advise given henceforth. If I think there is any danger in the information given I take full responsibility and hold no one liable for any damages or injuries that may occur while attempting this or any projects in the future.
Sorry, but this is not any kind of legally binding document; merely words typed in a form on a web page with no real security that could be traced back to you.

Please! What do I do next? Besides pay for a professional. I would like to learn a little more about working w/ small motors for future props. Thank you.
SteveB, myself, and bigcape have outlined some concerns already. The fact that you plan on using this device with others is a genuine concern for not only your safety, but theirs too.

If you were using a lead-acid battery as a power source, it would be a different situation - there would be no shock hazard; just the spill hazard and oxygen/hydrogen emissions to be concerned with.

bigcape

Joined Sep 18, 2009
Hey all, apologies all around to those that did not like the realness of the illustration that used to be here

I'm a little sensitive right now.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Post #3 covered the mains connection pretty well. Lets us not forget that it is 120 VAC and not a 13.5KV feeder in question. An arc will not flash over and cause a horrible accident.

We do try to emphasize safety and proper procedures on AAC. Scary pictures and oversized colored font is not really in keeping.

bigcape

Joined Sep 18, 2009
Post #3 covered the mains connection pretty well. Lets us not forget that it is 120 VAC and not a 13.5KV feeder in question. An arc will not flash over and cause a horrible accident.

We do try to emphasize safety and proper procedures on AAC. Scary pictures and oversized colored font is not really in keeping.
Delete it then. I don't care. I JUST WENT TO A DEAR FRIEND OF MINES FUNERAL LAST WEEK!

SO PLEASE DON'T TELL ME it's not "IN KEEPING"

Did I mention it WAS 120VAC that KILLED HIM? ( you have a lot of nerve sir, super moderator?)

I will PM you his name and you can look it up.

Nevermind Here is truth:

John Spencer Morris

John Spencer Morris "John Spencer Morris, died tragically on Monday, August 31......"

Last edited:

bigcape

Joined Sep 18, 2009

Explain this:

1. 120VAC kills friend

2. 13.5KV arcs a man trying to commit scuicide-- LIVES!

Because that guy lived are you going to say its "in keeping" to climb power feeders.

If post #3 covered the connections so well as you stated then why is she not satisfied and thanking everybody for problem solved? She continues to post questions.

I am done..... but deeply offended.

dumb blonde

Joined Oct 9, 2009
Well i definetly didn't want to start any fueds. Im sure all of you are very good people due to the fact you are all trying to help a complete stranger says alot. I don't plan to use any actor or anyone in the chair. My dummy's are made of pvc pipe and clothing that is stuffed with old blankets and such. No one will be able to touch my displays, I rope or fence off each area. Sgt Wookie (Thank you for ur service!) is there a way to use a battery for this? Im willing to try if you tell me how. Again thank you all! Keep the peace no arguing here guys.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
yes BMorse is right about the mount and the weight is off center. besides the chair itself and the pictures that is all the components that it came with hgmjr. i connected it up like eloctonerd had insrtucted and it makes a chattering humm but the shaft does not turn. so i unplugged it very fast. going to the first link provided by BMorse a paragraph reads a sawtooth oscillation? that is kind of what the motor sounds like. should i and how can i reduce the load and what do they mean by that. sry guys i really don't know anything about this stuff! thank you all so very much for your help!
The chattering hum you are hearing is from the motor being stalled by something, most likely those 2 blue wires go to a electromagnetic clutch / brake...... It looks like the original creator of this prop just took some parts he had around the shop and pieced it together, the motor looks like a small motor for a child's power wheel chair or something.... try connecting the 2 blue leads to power and see if you hear a click.... (But doing this is at your own risk!!! I am not for sure that is what I think it is and connecting it to power could damage it, or you!) If you do connect the blue leads to power, polarity does not matter, either wire can connect to + or -. If it does click when you connect it, then just tie those wires to the motor wires and when power up (1 to red and 1 to gray), this will actuate the clutch mechanism when the motor is fired up. (Those wires could also possibly be from some type of wiper contact of an encoder/pot.)

And don't forget about safety now, don't want you to become the prop...lol;)

My .02