Help answering questions

powerelec

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Hi guys im really lost with these questions. If you could answer them in the clearest way possible that would be great. I should mention my fundamentals of circuits are quite rusty.

Attachments

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So go back and dust some of the rust off those fundamentals and post your best shot at the questions. Then people here will be in a much better position to help.

powerelec

Joined Aug 13, 2012
honestly anyone on here would have a better chance of answering it to I would. I cant find any direct sources to a full wave bridge thyristor and the type of waveforms it would produce

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Even if that's true, this is the "Homework Help" forum, not the "Do my homework for me so that I can take credit for someone else's work" forum. You need to show some level effort on your part.

powerelec

Joined Aug 13, 2012
Can you direct me to a resource that could teach me the principles needed to answer these questions. Sorry for being clueless.

powerelec

Joined Aug 13, 2012
I know im supposed to post my attempts but my attempt is what does any of this mean. Im not trying to dodge doing my own work. I just literally have no idea where I would find the information to answer these questions. Im surrounded by books and papers, none of them giving me a circuit similar to the one posted.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
try this - radio-electronics

but really, we would want you to take the diagram and try to draw out current flow. Then, based on you understanding of how the components behave (inductor, diode and capacitor), you should be able to sketch out the waveforms at least roughly.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
First, describe what a thyristor does and how it works. You don't need to get into the physics of it, just talk about how it behaves with respect the signals applied to its terminals.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Can you direct me to a resource that could teach me the principles needed to answer these questions. Sorry for being clueless.
These are not easy questions. I would expect your teacher to lecture on the details of these subjects and to have recommended books, including a main textbook.

The first question is covered by many text books on switching power supplies. For example, I like the following one, but their are many others.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-...-1&keywords=Fundamentals+of+power+electronics

The second question can be answered when studying the material in this book (I think it's Chap 12, but my copy is at work, so I'm not sure. EDIT: it turned out to be Chap 11). There are very few other texts that handle this subject as well as this book, and one of the authors (Sudhoff) did research in this area and published a few key papers on the subject. Their analysis relies on inductive loading for the circuit, and this may tie in with one of the questions asked.

http://www.amazon.com/Analysis-Elec...1344889242&sr=8-1&keywords=krauss+power+motor

Note that both books are expensive, and I'm not sure you are up to the challenge of understanding them adequately without guidance from a teacher. So, buy at your own risk.

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I know im supposed to post my attempts but my attempt is what does any of this mean. Im not trying to dodge doing my own work. I just literally have no idea where I would find the information to answer these questions. Im surrounded by books and papers, none of them giving me a circuit similar to the one posted.
It is not a good way to learn electronics from textbooks.
It is even worse to become forced to produce good answers to problems like this. Especially if no real circuits are built.

It is much better actually to build such circuits on small scale, and gain a solid understanding.

If you have the opportunity forward this information to your teacher.

Maybe it is a good teacher. I can however recall ways of teaching that would be like for instance discussing these circuits 1:1 in class, and giving the solution already. Then actually demand to memorize it 1:1.

This is bad and ineffective teaching actually.

Understanding such circuits, and mastering the associated maths are two different things. Doing it both at once, and I guess relying on memorizing already given answers does not lead to good results.