help - advice about book or tutorials in avr programming [atmega32]

walid el masry

Joined Mar 31, 2009
hi there , i know pic programming well but i wanna learn how to program avr and i choice atmega32 as i think it is good start , what do you advice me to read to learn avr programing or if there any experience with sites or tutorials on the web ?

walid el masry

Joined Mar 31, 2009
in pic i use assembly and i love it so much but a lot of people advice me to use c language in big systems and projects so if you can you may advice me about book in assembly and another in c , any way thnx for your response and electronics wiz too

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Kernighan and Richie's book on C-language Programming is the definitive manual. Of course, there are AVR specific instructions that you can find in the documentation you can download from www.sourceforge.net along with the WINAVR C compiler for free. You will need to download the free AVRSTUDIO4 IDE from www.atmel.com since WINAVR is an add-in to AVRSTUDIO4.

hgmjr

walid el masry

Joined Mar 31, 2009
its ok but i tried program Mikroc about 2 times or 3 i don't remember and it was easy to use like visual studio package but the version was for pic only
what do you think about it and is there available version for avr ?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
its ok but i tried program Mikroc about 2 times or 3 i don't remember and it was easy to use like visual studio package but the version was for pic only
what do you think about it and is there available version for avr ?
What are you saying is OK? The book or WINAVR or AVRSTUDIO4 or all of these.

Can you clarify your statement?

hgmjr

walid el masry

Joined Mar 31, 2009
i mean that your post is very helpful and it is ok for all of these then i started the question above
by the way , i download the WINAVR and will see the AVRSTUDIO4 IDE
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I can't comment on mikroc since I have no experience with the program. All of my AVR programming has been with AVRSTUDIO4 and WINAVR.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Of course you can build your own or for a bit. There are several designs on the web.

I advise you to invest a few extra bucks for the off-the-shelf AVR ISP Programmer. The link I have given is at Digikey. The cost is $35 plus shipping. I have used this particular USB programmer and it is a solid performer. It is cabled to use with the AVR ISP6PIN programming header pinout.

hgmjr