Help about:Two motors coupled VS 1 motor?

Mohamed Elhaw

Joined Dec 25, 2013
Hello everybody, I am electric engineer and at my work I found there are two motors coupled to drive a belt conveyor with full load 155 kw.
each motor (3-phase 400V 110kw).

So I didn't know why didn't they make one motor to drive the belt?

What are the benefits from using two motors coupled than one?

If any one know about this matter please help me!!

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I've installed and repaired several types of conveyors, (Magnetic, Vacuum, Mechanical, etc.

Don't think I've ever seen a conveyor with two motors driving the same belt. Unless it may be for an exceptional long run.:confused:

The motors would have to have exact timing.:confused:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have never come across that application either.
At first glance it would not seem practical, but as in most motors, an AC induction motor current is dependent on load, so if one motor is considered an extension of the other, each one is relieving the load of the other, if this has already been applied, it would obviously seem it works in fact.
Although not truly a synchronous motor, they are to some extent by virtue of the applied frequency having an influence on the final rpm.
Max.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I have seen this sort of application a number of times.

Most often it's in a situation where a single larger motor and or gearbox would either be too large or too expensive to install so two physically smaller matching units get installed.

As long as the two motors are exactly the same the loading between them will be nearly identical.

Mohamed Elhaw

Joined Dec 25, 2013
Firstly; I have to thank you for your consideration.
-------------------------------------------------
I've installed and repaired several types of conveyors, (Magnetic, Vacuum, Mechanical, etc.

Don't think I've ever seen a conveyor with two motors driving the same belt. Unless it may be for an exceptional long run.:confused:

The motors would have to have exact timing.:confused:
About the application of 2 motors coupled to drive belt conveyor also for myself I didn't see something like this before, but what I know that we can coupled more than 1 motor to drive a load. it's possible!!

Starting issues?

Load stepping?

Motor availability?
For the starting, there is fluid coupling so there is no concern about the stating issue.
For motor availability, Yes may be as a general but at my case the conveyor that drive isn't critical.

I have never come across that application either.
At first glance it would not seem practical, but as in most motors, an AC induction motor current is dependent on load, so if one motor is considered an extension of the other, each one is relieving the load of the other, if this has already been applied, it would obviously seem it works in fact.
Although not truly a synchronous motor, they are to some extent by virtue of the applied frequency having an influence on the final rpm.
Max.
Coupling more than 1 motor to drive load is already used in industry. We can couple 4 motors to drive a load and all of them will share the load.

how are they controlled, and wired out to field?
every motor has MCC Unit with [Direct online start circuit] and one P.B for start and other for stop [1 P.B control both].

I have seen this sort of application a number of times.

Most often it's in a situation where a single larger motor and or gearbox would either be too large or too expensive to install so two physically smaller matching units get installed.

As long as the two motors are exactly the same the loading between them will be nearly identical.
Yes,this exactly is like what I thought 'the space' is the matter here
but for the cost :confused: I think 2 motors are expensive than one.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
I am waiting for more information about this matter as up to now there is no benefits.
Maybe like Electric trains have Multiple EMU's distributed across the length rather than a single Engine at one end.

Advantages of Better control on Speeds, Lower Tension on the Conveyor Belt, Smaller Motors, Drive Redundancy (at least partial), to mention some.

Ramesh

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Conveyors often have a high start torque requirement, compared to continuous run. I've seen conveyors with multiple drives, where some of those drives are turned off once the conveyor belts have broken free of 'sticktion' on startup. It's not uncommon to trip overloads on belted conveyors that haven't run for a few days.

This May or may not be relevant to your setup, but, there should be clues.

The first thing I'd suggest is to ask the people that are associated with this equipment. Don't be shy.