Help about power plug on laptop

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by victor141516, Apr 11, 2015.

1. victor141516

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Hi all, I'm new here, I hope you can help me.
    I'm repairing a laptop whose power plug got burned. I mean the female power plug on the laptop motherboard.
    Well, I asked in a electronics shop and they told me these plugs are not generally sold because they have 5 pins: the normal 3 and 2 more for battery charging.
    I wanna know if any of you know any shop where I can buy these, and if this plug is standard or laptop specific. I find very little info about this on internet, maybe I don't know how to search.
    Thank you all!

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The connectors may be proprietary and not available to the general public. Many manufacturers do this so that can charge exorbitant prices for repair. That leaves the do-it-your-selfer and the small time entrepreneur out in the cold. Welcome to the world of globalization. As far as I know there are no standards for laptop power supplies.

3. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Hi victor141516,

Can you provide a picture of the motherboard connector and the mating connector? Even if it's burned, there might be enough left for someone to help. What is the make/model of the laptop?

Some laptop manufacturers use the same connector on many models which facilitates sharing/borrowing power supplies. Some (like Dell) use the same connector in different ways, so even if it fits it might not work...