help about guidance in C++

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by moslem, Jul 9, 2010.

1. moslem

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Hello every one,
    i have aquestion,i've awritten project in c++ performs acertain jop can i convert it to gui,i've no idea about gui but if it valid please tell me how can i do that?
    i hope my question is clear.
    thanks alot.

2. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    a "GUI" (Graphical User Interface) is just an interface between the user and the application..... has nothing to do with converting a whole application to something called GUI.

Just like you Windows Desktop is the "GUI" for you to use to access and run different applications and programs....

If you wrote the whole application in C++, there should not be any reason why you can not design a user interface for it..... and how do you know your application works if you do not have a user interface??

B. Morse

3. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Ok in windows platform we use Win32 API (Application Programming Interface) and its the core for all GUI stuff in windows, also you could use Frameworks for this like MFC,wxWidgets,QT and etc.

If you are in windows platform then learn Win32 it is hard(not very much) but you will get to know a lot.

Good Luck

moslem likes this.
  4. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

Win32 API's (Application Program Interface) are not necessary for creating a GUI for a windows based PC, but it does make some stuff easy to accomplish without having to write too much code.....

moslem likes this.
  5. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Yes its not necessary ,but on the core any windows GUI framework will use Win32 API.Other ways are to use Frameworks which is nothing more then wrapping win32 functions inside classes so we could do it in a OOP style for example MFC .And its not easy in Win32 ,we have to write more codes(a lot..) than any other framework.As its the core interface in windows platform , Win32 GUI programs are quite faster than any other GUI based framework under windows.

6. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    A GUI is a Graphical User Interface, has nothing to do with the inner workings of the application, a gui usually consists of labels, textboxes and possibly some other form of user input such as buttons or displays..... these things have nothing to do with the core of the OS or anything else, the actual application may use Win32 API's, activeX, OCX or possibly even DLL's to communicate with the system.... so A GUI is just an extension of an application that lets a user interface to it.... nothing else...

B. Morse

7. debjit625

Apr 17, 2010
    Windows was implemented in just three dynamic-link libraries (dll) which are Kernel, User, and GDI.Most function calls that a typical Windows program makes will from one of these dlls.Kernel handles memory management, file I/O,tasking and etc,User(User32) handles the user interface, and implements all the windowing logic,GDI( Graphics Device Interface) handles a program to display text and graphics on the screen and printer.
    Now Win32 use these dll without much overload than any other framework and Yes user interface have to do with the core i.e.. User.dll in windows (in a 32bit edition of windows it is user32.dll) which gives the user interface like Forms,Buttons,Labels,Textbox and etc.

8. Harrington

Dec 19, 2009
    Do you have to use C++ to do your Job Are there any other languages that you could perhaps achieve the same goal with and which are far easier to use

For example there is Borland Visual C++ Builder which is has an easy to use IDE Visual development environment

There are also other languages such As Java Swing and C Sharp ,Delphi ,Visual Basic.net , Liberty basic , Ruby, another language that you could use This also depends on the Platform that you are compiling for That's also plays quite an important part in what you are designing your appliation for and what you intend to be your end users

It depends on what you are doing If its simply web logic or database interaction There are many other methods of doing this If its Hardware control then you might have to look at other languages to implement your solutions which can reach down into the hardware