Hello from Eire

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by liamo, Sep 17, 2012.

1. liamo

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Hi
    Im a newby from Ireland and have a problem with an old dynamo but havent the cash to send it away for a rewind,just wondering am i in the right site as i need someone who knows about induction ,field coils etc
    thanks
    liam

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Welcome to AAC.
    What's your question?

3. liamo

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Hi
    This dynamo has 4 pole shoes and 2 brushes,the shoes are positioned at 12 oc ,3 oc ,6 oc, 9oc,the positive brush is at about 8oc and the negative at 5oc ,i need to know where do i put first pole shoe in relation to positive brush,and what way are pole shoes configered eg ns,sn,sn,ns.
    !!!!??
    thanks
    liam

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  5. cork_ie

Oct 8, 2011
    What is it fitted to?
    Nearly all 12V dynamos have two pole shoes only , so I assume it is something a bit unusual.

Direction of magnetic field doesn't matter as long as poles are in correct sequence, you will just need to polarise the field to suit your needs.

If the brush holder is adjustable then just turn it slowly until the brushes align with the neutral point between the poles. At this point the dynamo should charge when rotated, after that, just turn the brush holder ever so slightly in the direction of rotation to reduce sparking at the brushes.

A full explanation & the background theory etc is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpL0joqJmqY , Take the 30 mins or so and watch this in full. I have never seen a better explanation & so easy to understand

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012