Held held computer???

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by thenovice, May 9, 2007.

1. thenovice

Thread Starter New Member

May 9, 2007
    I have absolutely no electronics knowledge at all, so really I'm asking if this is possible within a reasonable budget. I want to build a hand held device with a screen (mobile phone size) that can display simple text files, has a usb port, so I can connect a pen drive to store the text files, and a 9 pin RS232 port to transfer the files with certain protocols.
    Firstly is this possible to build myself? Do I need some sort of processor or can I use flash memory to control the configuration settings? Idea's on costs? Thanks for reading.

2. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    You will need to learn about microprocessors, USB and RS232 protocols, and programming. All memory does is store what you put in it.

I'll take a wild guess at seventy bucks, USD.

3. Tube Tech

Jan 11, 2007
    You're trying to invent the Palm Pilot?

4. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    I don't think they are. They said nothing of text entry, only text display. Sounds more like book-reading tool, except a reader would need a bigger screen. (At least it would if I were the one using it...:p)

5. thenovice

Thread Starter New Member

May 9, 2007
    In theory then I could take something like a palm pilot remove the bits I require, eg processor and programming is done for me? Then add my own screen and ports etc?
    I am trying to devise a device to transfer text file from a pc tgo a mchine for programming purposes, there are many devises out there but all are over speced and over price looking for a simple low cost alternative.