Heavy duty PWM DC motor controller help

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Your Mosfet Source needs to be connected to your motor power common and the motor placed in the drain of the mosfet.
Like I posted in the link, except instead of 6v it will be whatever your motor power is.
Max.

eggplantparrot

Joined Mar 25, 2015
well, i tried the circuit first with a 12v motor and a different transistor and the pwm circuit worked great, but when i connected everything together with the big motor and an IRF540 (this is the only one they had and it should work too, same chip but gate is 10V) the 555 blew up, but as it was blowing up, the motor did start spinning. i have another 555 chip and the IRF540 is completely unharmed, any suggestions on the next trial?

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
May be a silly question, but are you sure you've got the right pin connections on the MOSFET? According to Max's schematic and the datasheet, the gate on the MOSFET (which should connect to the 555's pin 7) is pin 1. In your graphic schematic, there are no pin numbers on the MOSFET, but it's drawn to look like you're connecting 555 pin 7 to the middle pin. If so, there's your problem.

eggplantparrot

Joined Mar 25, 2015
hm that may be it, although the drawing I uploaded was just freehanded at the time, I may have accidentally followed that drawing thinking I did check it; but thinking about it now, wouldn't connecting the pins wrongly on the MOSFET destroy the MOSFET itself and not the 555?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
the mosfet has a back emf diode in, it will conduct from D to S, if you get the pins wrong way round.

D is the centre pin and tab, goes to the motor, G is the left pin, and should go to pin 3 on the timer chip.

Last edited:

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
pin 3 is the output of a 555 timer, you can also use pin 7, but need a pull up resistor.

Also if your using a 120VDC motor, why dont you use the circuit i posed in#34, using a light dimmer and the bridge rectifier from the treadmill.

Last edited: