HeathKit Euw-15 Power Supply Voltage Regulator Failure

harkkam

Joined Jan 6, 2011
We have a Bingo. (Or, as the kids say, "We have wood".) You will need to get a small transformer to replace the failed winding in the power transformer. Look up the 6BH6 tube and see how much current it wants to heat its filaments.
Yeah I did some more poking around and no volts are detectable anywhere on the pathway for the heater wires.

According to

http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/6bh6.pdf

it requires .15 amps.

I didnt think transformer windings could fail.

Hmm.

harkkam

Joined Jan 6, 2011
Thats great man, Im glad we have an idea. I will get a transformer and put it in and see what I can do. I dont have one lying around but im sure ill pick one up from radioshack.

Thank you so much I have learnt so much, really thank you for your effort.

harkkam

Joined Jan 6, 2011
I'm not sure you'll pick one up at Radio Shack. Try www.mouser.com for a Hammond transformer or Antique Electronics Supply in Tempe Arizona.
Hmm. I need one with at least 1 amp, how many volts?

Do I need to replace the main transformer because the voltage divider circuit still works.

I was thinking I could get a small transformer with the right specs and hook it up to where the 6bh6 filament wires are connected now.

Would that work?

Could you recommend a transformer that would work

Yeah and I love the old smell it has and it just looks cool on my bench. It will live

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The 6BH6 said .15 amps, not 1 amp. The 6BH6 datasheet says 6.3 volts RMS AC. A center tapped transformer would be best, but you can fake a center tap with a pair of 100 ohm resistors. That will require an extra 32ma.

The whole point of replacing the single winding is to avoid trying to replace the obsolete and probably unobtainable main transformer.

Keep watching this spot and I might be able to get you a source.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Part # 553-F13X @ Mouser $7.83 + shipping. You'll have to make the fake center tap.

Part# 553-F14X has a center tap. $10.53 + shipping.

This is assuming you have American voltages...right?

AES does not have better prices or better selection.

harkkam

Joined Jan 6, 2011
Part # 553-F13X @ Mouser $7.83 + shipping. You'll have to make the fake center tap.

Part# 553-F14X has a center tap. $10.53 + shipping.

This is assuming you have American voltages...right?
Yes I have american voltages :)

This will replace the mains transformer?

Its much smaller than the mains transformer I have now so im assuming this is in addendum to the mains transformer.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No! It absolutely will NOT replace the main transformer!

The whole purpose of replacing this one filament winding to to avoid trying to replace the expensive, obsolete, and probably unobtainable main transformer.

harkkam

Joined Jan 6, 2011
Okay thanks again 12. 10 bux is not bad at all considering I paid a 100 for it might as well to get it to work.

Ill report back in a week or so when I have the transformer delivered.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks to everyone for staying out of my way while I did that. It gets real crazy with too many cooks in the broth. OP doesn't know who to believe and the chatter just makes him confused.

Last edited:

harkkam

Joined Jan 6, 2011
Okay guys I got the

Part# 553-F14X

Transformer from mouser and I was wondering how I should setup it up so it replaces the failed winding on the main transformer.

On one side it has two black wires and on the other it has two solid green wires and one green wire mixed with a yellow stripe.

6bh6 was the tube getting no voltage.

After some more research the transformer I have is a step down. It has two primary wires two black wires. Where do I connect them?

Last edited: