Heater repair, high pitch noise...

Ljk2000

Joined Nov 20, 2016
So very recently my oil radiator heater decided not to work very well. Or at least I think is not working. About a week ago I had it on med-high and that was when it started to "squeal". It was bad and just turned it down and there was a big flash when the click came about (clicks to show how 'hot' it is on the dial) and started to maintain at the temp. From then since it always starts to do the squeal when it gets so hot. So to stop this it is being ran at 30%. Based on the sound it sounds like a blown cap. to me. Happened in a power supply and was a easy fix. My question being... could I expect to replace a cap. or something else? If you think something else went wrong let me know. Or could this just be what it does now and it shouldn't be a big deal? I would return and get a new one... but the 1 year warranty ends if not ended. Thank you.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So very recently my oil radiator heater decided not to work very well. Or at least I think is not working. About a week ago I had it on med-high and that was when it started to "squeal". It was bad and just turned it down and there was a big flash when the click came about (clicks to show how 'hot' it is on the dial) and started to maintain at the temp. From then since it always starts to do the squeal when it gets so hot. So to stop this it is being ran at 30%. Based on the sound it sounds like a blown cap. to me. Happened in a power supply and was a easy fix. My question being... could I expect to replace a cap. or something else? If you think something else went wrong let me know. Or could this just be what it does now and it shouldn't be a big deal? I would return and get a new one... but the 1 year warranty ends if not ended. Thank you.
I would exchange it - could be anything from a piece of loose sheet metal that is vibrating in resonance with the A/C current to a bad cap to arcing from a shorted wire. Either way, you were unhappy with the product so see what the store does for you. Walmart, Costco, Kmart, Target, amazon all have fairly good return policies that you dint even have to worry about the manufacturers support. If you do have to contact the mfg, give it a try. Only if all that fails should you open it up to see what's what.

Good luck.

Ljk2000

Joined Nov 20, 2016
Ya I think I will do that this weekend. But I do not have the or box or anything. Would they still take it back?