Heat issue with EMP Generator

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by headros, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headros

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Hi,

I am a novice building an EMP generator from this schematic. I was unsure of the coil I needed, so I took one from a linksys carcass. Can this coil make do? (see photos) It seems like it works when powered on, my EMF meter goes over 120millgauss pointing near the coil and I get a signal on the oscilloscope. The IRF840 gets over 200F with the heatsink.Is it suppose to get this hot or do I need better heat disipation? I am using the 1uF capacitor to create a 156Hz - 10kHz pulse. When I use the .1uF cap i can clearly hear the pluse sound coming from the coil. Thank you for any tips or suggestions.

Here is a demo video

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    A real EMP requires a nuclear detonation. This is like a small toy popgun -- EMP indeed.

3. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I would say that's being generous on the description.

I don't even see an actual output coil or is the torrid inductor it? If so.... HUH? :confused:

shortbus likes this.
  4. headros

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 10, 2014
    I was not sure what type of coil to use. After searching the web I believe a coil like this is needed, hopefully someone can confirm this for me.

• coil.png
      coil.png
      File size:
      214.4 KB
      Views:
  5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I'm not too worried about the EMP you will generate, but in general they are against ToS. Therefore, I am closing this thread.

This from the ToS (Terms of Service):

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.