Heard about this Bloombox?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Pretty neat. It takes water, breaks it into hydrogen and oxygen during the day, and reverses itself to make power at night by recombining the two.(If used with solar)
Apparently he gets more power out of the hydrogen and oxygen recombining than it takes him to separate the two out of the water. It was designed by the CEO for NASA for a "sustainable life on Mars" solution. On Mars, solar panels and the water available on mars was broken down for breathable oxygen and power generation.

Google, FedEx and EBay are using them now. The CEO of ebay said the 5 Bloomboxes saved the company $100,000 already in 9 months. The reason the company is going public now is because Google, and others saw how they worked, invested tons of money and put pressure on the CEO to go public now.

It can also use wind, or coal or natural gas. Whatever.

http://blog.mapawatt.com/2010/02/20...-it-work-bloom-energy-could-change-the-world/

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Apparently he gets more power out of the hydrogen and oxygen recombining than it takes him to separate the two out of the water.
That makes it a perpetual motion device. Just one should be able to run almost anything, as it will be able to supply itself with energy left over once it starts up. Just attach a lake and there you are.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
It would be one hella scam. He has already made millions.
He cuts short of saying perpetual motion. Because your using the energy, its not available back to the machine. -- At least that what I got out of it.. And, now, Ive put too much "energy" into it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As I understand it (and I do not claim that I do), it uses solar to separate oxygen and hydrogen, not electricity. So he isn't getting out more than he puts in.

This has a been a common theme at physorg.com, a lot of money is being spent on alternate ways to separate water, from single cell organisms to organic PN junctions that do this naturally using light and warmth as the power source.

No over unity is involved, though convincing the true believers may be a challenge.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
It is used like a battery. Instead of lead-acid it's hydrogen-oxygen He uses the external power to breakdown the water to hydrogen and oxygen. Then stores it. When power demand rises, it recombines the H and O to produce power.

Add water, shampoo, repeat.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So are electricity prices cheaper when it is off demand times? That is the only way I could see it saving money. That or solar cells (or equivalent).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
But these are companies who own the equipment, not the power company. Unless the power company gives them a break for off peak demands, I still don't see where the savings are coming from.

Energy storage doesn't make sense for a private or corporate individual.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I believe they are using natural gas for energy production and in turn storage.

They said they saved money on the electric bill, not their gas bill. ;)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If it is biological then CO2 is not an issue, since the carbon is freshly recycled. If it is hydrogen based it isn't an issue either way. The thought in the back of my mind is it is fuel cell based.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
If it is biological then CO2 is not an issue, since the carbon is freshly recycled. If it is hydrogen based it isn't an issue either way. The thought in the back of my mind is it is fuel cell based.
I was referring to the use of natural gas in a fuel cell. That carbon has to go somewhere.