Headphones.

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by BR-549, Apr 12, 2016.

1. BR-549

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
  2. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Over ear with high fidelity is still expensive. On ear is under $20.

I wore a set of on ear at work for a couple years to reduce ambient noise (mainly from loud talkers). The $20 set was sufficient. It reduced most noise to an acceptable level and made the male loud talkers higher pitched so it was more amusing. For cases when I really needed to cut down on distractions, I listened to music at an appropriate volume to drown out background noise.

3. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Wow. I had no idea. I must really be behind the times.

Headphones...............no matter what the type.......that has active ambient noise canceling for $20.

I would love to see them. I sure could have put them to use.

Wait, a sec.....you were still hearing background. These are different. They are suppose to phase cancel all the background noise.

In other words.....you could be standing beside a steam turbine and put these on......and it would be quiet.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  4. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Nothing will cancel 100% of the ambient noise. I used mine (MDR-NC7) on a twin engine turboprop plane and it reduced the noise to an acceptable level. The specs say up to 87% noise cancellation. Active cancellation was better than my over the ear hearing protectors that reduced noise by 20db or so.

On ear can be uncomfortable if you plan to wear them for a long time. I found an hour or two to be bearable. Noise cancellation came with a hiss. Ear pads wear out and I couldn't find replacements.

You'll get better performance in higher end units, but you'll pay 10X more.

5. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Well then, I guess I'm too gullible. I don't want it, and not interested in it, unless it cancels at least 99% of ambient noise.

I have no such need for such things now. I just wanted to experience the effect.

But I guess, there's no effect to experience. What a bummer.

No shield of silence.

6. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    When I was still working, I often thought about noise cancelling technology. Our campus cafeterias were so loud that everyone yelled. I am soft spoken and have good hearing, so I disliked frequenting them. Unfortunately, my boss liked to hold his 1 on 1's in the cafeteria. His hearing wasn't very good, so I had to yell at him from across the table so he could hear me.

One of my devious ideas was to make a sound "gun" that I could point at people with loud voices and retransmit what they said with a delay to confuse them. But that would only work on people who actually listened to what they said. Another was to make a chair that blocked all sound except for a narrow angle in front and use active noise cancellation to cancel any sound from that direction so it couldn't be heard from "inside" the chair. I retired before I had to resort to that.

I worked at a company that packed us in like sardines. My last office space was 6'x8'; smaller than my closet. Partitions were 5' high, but many inconsiderate people stood up to talk or had conversations just outside of my cubicle. Some people had redesigned offices that lowered partition height to 4' and the top foot was glass. So in addition to distracting noise, they had visual distractions from people walking by. The company thought it made collaborating easier.

7. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Hey 10 blankin 4 on work environment.

If you could build that chair that only let sound in at the front 45d area, your be richer than gates.

It would buffer the loss of manners and civility. (I said blankin)

With a new and improved portable model, one could take his silence space with him.

I'll bet it would catch on big in the cities.