Headphone tone control help needed

SvenS

Joined Nov 18, 2008
I am looking to make a tone control for my headphones, not sure how to go about making one.

I have a metal detector that emits a mono tone when it detects a piece of metal. The tone is a little higher than I like, sometimes irritating. I would like to reduce the tone to a lower one. Now I would like to control the tone with a potentiometer.

Ideally the control and circuit would attach to the output end of the headphone jack on the detector.

I am a novice with electronic projects and learning a lot from this forum and
learning information found on the top tabs. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I think you will have to modify the metal detector itself.
Do you have the schematic, so we can look how to modify it?

Greetings,
Bertus

SvenS

Joined Nov 18, 2008
No need to modify the detector, I had a pair of metal detector headphones at one point in time with the variable tone feature built in. Never looked inside to see how it was put together. It used very little power from the detectors headphone jack to run and it could be used with any metal detector brand.
The original maker only made about 24 headsets, they didn't sell well but they worked great. I inquired if he could make me one and got a lame response "Why would you want one", no response after that.

Other than that I know from certain detector brands you have to only change a resistor value on the board to change tone.

I also had a a electronics lab kit years ago and could change the audio tone using just a resistor and capcitator?

Don't have schematics at this time for the detector, having detector shipped to me from my parents home. Then I can open it up.
==============================================
From the orig. annoucement:

It is finally here! Headphones that can change the tone frequency on your machine!

VTF (Variable Tone Frequency) can actually vary the tone of your metal detector to your liking. What is more incredible is that they do this with no battery.

You heard right, NO BATTERY! The energy already present in the machine output is used to power the circuitry. We use advanced components that did not even exist a few years ago and have taken advantage of new technology to achieve this amazing feat.

Are they for everyone?

No.

Most machines are fine the way they are, plus VTF's work best on machines that do not have modulated audio, that is, if your machine has low volume audio for deep targets, you will hear the regular tone of your machine for those deep targets at a lower volume than you are used to. Medium to shallow targets will have the new tone that you have selected. You can use the VTF's to zero in on the medium to shallow targets to cherry pick. On machines without modulated audio, all depths will have the same volume as usual, but now you can change the tone.

Were you ever on an early morning hunt and find yourself not paying attention to your tones? Well, dial in a different frequency and your ears will perk right up!

VTF's can be just what you have been looking for. Love your machine but don’t like the sound? Get a pair of VTF's and change it.
Were you ever on an early morning hunt and find yourself not paying attention to your tones? Well, dial in a different frequency and your ears will perk right up!

VTF's can be just what you have been looking for. Love your machine but don’t like the sound? Get a pair of VTF's and change it.

Last edited: