headphone 6.3 mill adapter tip stuck inside amps headphone socket

bethy1234

Joined May 10, 2014
Hi team,
i've been trying to find a solution for my problem for a few days now. My Beyerdynamic dt770 adapter tip has broken off inside my amps headphone socket. I need to remove it. Taking the amp apart give me no better access to the headphone socket itself. With the tip still inside the amp it has switched off the speakers circuit as well, so i am royally screwed.

I know if you have an adapter tip stuck inside an iphone you can use a q-tip, insert it and pull out a 3.5 mill broken adapter tip, but i am looking for the same sort of technique, but for a 6.3 mill adapter tip.

I'm reaching out guys. Any Heath Robinson ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Can you post a picture?

For those not knowing what a 6.3 mill adapter tip is.

A drywall screw makes a good puller!

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'd try this:
1) Make absolutely sure everything is switched off, so no Volts on any wire connected to the socket.
2) Find a ~1cm length of soft plastic tube which is a close fit inside the adapter tip.
3) Screw a self-tap screw, or woodscrew, gently into the tube to expand it, thus gripping the inside of the adapter tip.
4) Pull the assembly out (hopefully!).

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I've had to do this a few times and it can be a real pain.

The first and often easiest way is to prop up the amp so the entry hole is facing vertically downward. Then use a small STRONG probe like a tiny metal screwdriver and push back the sprung contacts, gravity might allow the stuck piece to fall down. You might have to press back the sprung contacts in stages as it will be stereo and have at least two sprung contacts.

If gravity and shaking won't move it while you press back the contacts, I have a memory of using a soldering iron to melt a hole in the end of the rectangular plastic socket housing, and using one tiny screwdriver to hold back the contacts and another to poke down the hole and push the small piece out. :eek:
:)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How about using hot melt glue on the tip of a small stick or rod (example, end of Q-Tip) and use RB's suggestion above to assist gravity.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Can you post a picture?

For those not knowing what a 6.3 mill adapter tip is.

A drywall screw makes a good puller!
6.3 mm is a 1/4" headphone jack on the front of the OPs receiver/amp.

If the OP returns, the drywall screw idea seems best. But the OP already knew that when he/she said, "I'm screwed".