HDD partition

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by brian25, Feb 9, 2014.

1. brian25

Thread Starter Member

May 13, 2013
    is it possible to make partition in HDD and combine it in existing storage?

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    From another physical disk? No. Perhaps there is a driver out there that does it but I am not aware of any.

And this belongs in Computers and Networking.

brian25 likes this.
  3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    brian25 likes this.
  4. Ian Rogers

Dec 12, 2012
    They use a HDD management system when installing VMware... You don't need to re-partition, VMware seems to do it seamlessly...

I have never done it but I mention it purely for reference...

brian25 likes this.
  5. electronis whiz

Jul 29, 2010
    If I understand what your asking correctly it is possible. and fairly simply in windows.
    First ask yourself this though. 1. do I dual boot? if yes this is not going to work if no move on to next step. The disks must be dynamic disks in windows, and you can't dual boot a dynamic disk, I have even tried it, and failed. Also how valuable is your data?

You will need to go into disk management an administrator, usually in administrative tools in start menu, or control panel. or do a search or run (depending on OS) and type diskmgmt.msc.
    The interface has a few parts, in the top you'll see volumes displayed. (you can pretty much ignore that) The bottom is the area you'll use.
    On the left you'll see like a box that says disk 0, 1, etc right click that and click convert to dynamic disk. Do this on both disks.

Then on the volume shown in the white bars right click and you should see an option that says extend volume. You should then get a thing you select the other disk(s) to add, and then once you say ok it should take a bit to format the new disk, and prepare it for use.

About the data thing I mentioned. This setup is possible, but not done a lot, because if you have disk A and B and B fails Anything on A is also gone. This is why raid 5 is popular in industry. generally that needs 3 disks though, it has a parity function, and if a disk fails it can rebuild the entire contents using information on the other 2 disks. The rebuild can take time, but you can also access stuff generally with a small delay while it regenerates it. That also uses dynamic disks.

brian25 likes this.