hd dvd vs blu-ray

Just Me

Joined Jan 11, 2008
I am at the crossroads trying to decide which player to purchase I want to by one of them but I remember the betamax any oppions

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Don't know if the two formats can coexist - it might be smart to wait and see who comes out on top. There's Betamax and laserdisks to think about.

Young_SR

Joined Jan 9, 2008
Even though it still to soon to call, the current advantage appears to go to Blu-Ray. However that could change by next year. I'd suggest do a search on how many titles exist on the Blu-Ray Format Vs. HD-DVD. That may give you a "temperature" reading on the state of the format wars as it stands today.

Young_SR

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Sony's Betamax format was far better than VHS. But, they basically killed it themselves by refusing to license the technology to other manufacturers.

Laserdisks had super picture quality compared to tape, but... you couldn't record, and they were BIG.

But what can I say, I still have boxes of vinyl LP's from the 70's (and before...) ;)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Warner Brothers pulled out of the HD-DVD alliance all but sounding the death knell for HD-DVD.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/04/warner-goes-blu-ray-exclusive/
This is being widely reported as being the end of HD-DVD. IIRC HD-DVD is being promoted by both Toshiba and Microsoft so it may still have some life in it yet. It may be that in an increasingly tech-savy world, multiple formats can and do coexist - think of all the music formats (mp3, wma, aac etc) and video formats (avi, mpg, mov etc).

How knows at this stage, but I suspect that some time soon all the big manufacturers will side one way or they other and that will be the death of one of the formats.

Dave

Distort10n

Joined Dec 25, 2006
This is being widely reported as being the end of HD-DVD. IIRC HD-DVD is being promoted by both Toshiba and Microsoft so it may still have some life in it yet. It may be that in an increasingly tech-savy world, multiple formats can and do coexist - think of all the music formats (mp3, wma, aac etc) and video formats (avi, mpg, mov etc).

How knows at this stage, but I suspect that some time soon all the big manufacturers will side one way or they other and that will be the death of one of the formats.

Dave

Maybe not, but I refuse to buy any movies on either format until one wins. That or an affordable player that can do both.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
But can the average joe tell the difference..?
The main difference the consumer will notice between Blu-ray and HD-DVD is when they buy a film and it won't play in their player. Will average-Joe see the difference between Blu-ray/HD-DVD and conventional DVD? Well, I'm not so sure, most people's eyesights is up to scratch anyway!

Maybe not, but I refuse to buy any movies on either format until one wins. That or an affordable player that can do both.
The most affordable way at the moment is PS3/XBox360 - developing an add-on for either of these will probably be the most obvious way; however Sony developed Blu-ray and Microsoft supported HD-DVD.

Dave