Hazards of country life

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Not long ago in America, many jurisdictions would require a homeowner to vacate instead of confronting an intruder. Fortunately, the Supreme Court has upheld the "castle doctrine" and we may once more defend our homes.

Note well that deadly force may ONLY be used by citizens if
1) a reasonable person would believe the target had the ability or disparity of force to kill or maim
2) a reasonable person would believe the target had the opportunity to to use that ability or disparity
3) a reasonable and prudent person would believe the target was placing someone in jeapordy - i.e. committing a class-C felony

Simply shooting a prowler and putting a knife in their hand is not enough. Any time one civilian kills another, there will be a grand jury to explain one's actions to. The shooter can expect to spend a minimum of ten thousand dollars legal expenses. (Check with your home-owner's policy to see if this is covered. If not, get another insurance company.)

---

Regarding the purpose of firearms... yes, they are tools for killing. Good ones. Few tools kill so efficiently when properly wielded.

I happen to like venison, squirrel meat, and other wildlife delicacies. I also happen to live in an area where feral pigs are an increasing threat to human safety, and where coyote are an increasing threat to small livestock. Worse, every year we get more reports of some whacko trying to hurt an innocent citizen in the citizen's home.

I am quite thankful I have access to some excellent killing tools - including firearms. I am even more thankful that I have taken the time to learn to use them effectively and that I practice with them. After all... no firearm EVER killed or hurt anyone by itself! It is the shooter which does the killing, assuming they are competent.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
I also own firearms .... 3 rifles, for pest control and sport.
You should see what we have to go through to get a licence though.... keeps out the riff raff I suppose.....

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I am quite thankful I have access to some excellent killing tools - including firearms. I am even more thankful that I have taken the time to learn to use them effectively and that I practice with them. After all... no firearm EVER killed or hurt anyone by itself! It is the shooter which does the killing, assuming they are competent.
And if they are incompetent or irresponsable?

I thank to god for not living in the far west (where almost any reason is sufficient to kill).

FredM

Joined Dec 27, 2005
There are times in the U.K. when one might miss the 'security' of having a gun.. But it as a false security at best.. Coming from a country where guns were common for 'whites' to 'defend' them from the fear of attack from 'blacks' and 'commies' (I am talking about Aparthied S.A. in 1977) The idea that people didnt own guns, and the fact that I was never woken at 5am by armed 'security' forces banging on my door made the U.K. seem like utopia.
When guns are legal, it is the bullies, irresponsible, unstable,criminal and stupid who aquire them first.. Then the responsible citizen is forced to aquire them to maintain some semblance of 'balance of power'.
I hope laws against guns are tightened in the U.K. and fear any shift towards America on this and many other issues. I believe Tony B'liar would have made us another American state if he had been able - After all, he lied to parlament and treasonously put the interests of Bush above the interests of Britain.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Just out of curiosity, is it still illegal to carry a knife outside one's home in the UK?
Knives and UK law is a myriad of complexity. The rough rule is that it is an offence to carry a knife in a public place originally under the Criminal Justice Act 1988 and has not changed (as far as I know) under the CJA 2003, without good reason. What these good reasons are, are very open. There are explicit exceptions such as folding pocket knives with a cutting edge less than 3 inches.

These laws extend into suitability for marketing, sale and purchase of knives.

Dave

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
And if they are incompetent or irresponsable?
Certainly an irresponsible person should not use weapons. Nor any other dangerous tool. Sadly, irresponsible people will not understand why this is so.

Incompetent people can, of course, obtain instruction and engage in practice to become competent. Again, there's no point in having a tool without gaining skill in it's use.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
i somehow agree more with Mr cumesoftware and Mr Fred on this.
agreed that ppl resorting to illegal means will get there hands on these weapons illegally if not legally but that will require efforts and if safety measures are stringent enuf not every criminal will be able to possess a weapon at least not with ease.
power flows thru the barrel of a gun,
and i must say at least here in India power corrupts man.
and yeah one more thing we technical ppl can take care of the unarmed outlaws easily (come to think of it guns are also an engg. marvel)