having trouble finding these schematic symbols...

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Schematic unknown, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Schematic unknown

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    I am studying for a test and I am having a hard time finding what symbols C, H, K and L are. I have found a few symbols for motor and generator that are similar to C but I can't be sure. If anyone has any info I am grateful! 20140112_174341.jpg

2. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    C should have more markings. You are correct, it has the same shape as both a motor AND a generator. Might want to speak with your teacher about that. H is an older one that I haven't seen in years. I'm hesitant to give you the answer though. How do I know you're not doing homework, or even taking the test now?

Can't say I've ever seen K, but you should definitely know L.

EDIT: I take that back about L. I don't see how it's different from a standard resistor....

3. Schematic unknown

Jan 12, 2014
    Well, the test is for a job and I dont take it until Thursday at a testing center, and so I also dont have a teacher to consult :(. I'm just working with a study guide and a textbook, electricity principles and applications by fowler 5th edition.

4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Okay, fair enough.

Once again, C should have more markings. Usually it would have a "M" inside the circle for a motor or a "G" for a generator. I have also seen some meters shown that way, with a "V", "A", or "Ω" depending on whether it's a voltmeter, ammeter, or ohmmeter.

H is a lamp, usually an incandescent light bulb.

Again, I have never seen K before, and L looks like just another resistor to me. Not sure why there's two of them. Perhaps one is wire-wound and one is carbon-film? Just guessing here, don't take my word for it.

5. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  6. Schematic unknown

Jan 12, 2014
    Thanks for the info guys! Adding it all to the que for study

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    C usually indicates a DC motor or Gen, for AC motor the symbol is different for both 1ph and 3ph motors.
    As mentioned the H could be a fusible link or lamp filament.
    K is an overload device used on a contactor etc, the symbol is a bit deceiving at it does not usually open the circuit itself, it thermally or electronically trips a contact which opens a coil of the controlling device as opposed to a fuse.
    L could be a lamp also, as it is enclosed in a circle, if it had a T on it, it would conform to the JIC symbol for thermistor.
    Max.

8. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    K is typically a thermal overload. I've also seen them on motors.

Normally you would see it with circuit breakers as in

[​IMG]

DerStrom8 likes this.
  9. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    L is most likely a device that relies on a variable resistance. An example would be a light-dependent resistor or a thermistor. There would normally be some indication, such as a letter, indicated something more specific.

I don't know that I agree with your notation for A. That symbol just strikes me as being a generic symbol for a passive component, again with supplemental markings giving more details.

The symbol E is just a switch. It is neither open nor closed, it is just a switch. If it were a momentary switch, then it would be necessary to be able to determine if it is normally open or normally closed.

10. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
  11. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I did not notice L was inside a circle. For that reason I would say it's could be a light dependent resistor.

MaxHeadRoom likes this.
  12. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Still say it is a magnetic overload