Having trouble finding 7476?

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Many texts are still only available in print. And the same reasoning holds even for those that are available in electronic form -- new editions are generally very expensive while older editions can often be had for a fraction of the price.
I guess so.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
While I definitely admit that I personally prefer a printed text (most of the time -- there are certainly instances when an electronic version is very handy) I have been surprised by how many students feel the same way. I figured that the vast majority of today's generation would strongly prefer electronic versions. But I get the impression that the majority (though possibly a slim majority) actually prefer print.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
7476, 74LS76, are getting hard to find and are pricey if you can find them. Over $3.00 from Jameco, for instance. An alternative might be a 74LS112 ($0.65, Jameco). Same function and with conventional power pin configuration.
CD4027 is essentially the same. Reset and Set pins are active high instead of the 7476's active low (If I remember correctly). Pinout is different.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
While I definitely admit that I personally prefer a printed text (most of the time -- there are certainly instances when an electronic version is very handy) I have been surprised by how many students feel the same way. I figured that the vast majority of today's generation would strongly prefer electronic versions. But I get the impression that the majority (though possibly a slim majority) actually prefer print.
My concern ... by the time it gets into print it is obsolete. Basics are still basics but every year there is more and more beyond basics. I admit that much. A forum or web site format offers more interaction between students and teacher.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
My concern ... by the time it gets into print it is obsolete. Basics are still basics but every year there is more and more beyond basics. I admit that much. A forum or web site format offers more interaction between students and teacher.
In theory that might be the case, but in practice getting students to actually participate in a forum format is like pulling teeth. For instance, with 170+ students total in five courses the total number of students posts in all of the discussion forums is presently standing somewhere in the neighborhood of six. Some instructors require that students participate in a course forum and, for some types of assignments that might be reasonable. But for most engineering courses I don't see the point of requiring people that are not having any problems to participate. The problem, as is usually the case, is that the very students that really need to participate are also the very students least likely to do so. They are also the students least likely to come to office hours, e-mail questions, or show up at help sessions. Part of the reason for that is that they also tend to be the students that put off even looking at assignments until the night before they are do. Students that avail themselves of those interaction opportunities are, by and large, students that are already at or near the top of the class. Part of the reason for that is that they also tend to be the students that do NOT put off working on the assignment and, therefore, are in a position to know what they need help on in time to do something about it.

There are, of course, exceptions to any rule.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
In theory that might be the case, but in practice getting students to actually participate in a forum format is like pulling teeth. For instance, with 170+ students total in five courses the total number of students posts in all of the discussion forums is presently standing somewhere in the neighborhood of six. Some instructors require that students participate in a course forum and, for some types of assignments that might be reasonable. But for most engineering courses I don't see the point of requiring people that are not having any problems to participate. The problem, as is usually the case, is that the very students that really need to participate are also the very students least likely to do so. They are also the students least likely to come to office hours, e-mail questions, or show up at help sessions. Part of the reason for that is that they also tend to be the students that put off even looking at assignments until the night before they are do. Students that avail themselves of those interaction opportunities are, by and large, students that are already at or near the top of the class. Part of the reason for that is that they also tend to be the students that do NOT put off working on the assignment and, therefore, are in a position to know what they need help on in time to do something about it.

There are, of course, exceptions to any rule.
I can see the wisdom of that, yes. Is this changed with books? The students who need to read it the most won't.
I say teach them to use the Internet to find answers since that is likely what they will do on the job. Not just use the text book. If the test on Friday is based on the text book reading the book will get them through the test. Is that the only objective? Or is it teaching them tom survive employment?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Many courses have a research component to them -- and the students hate it and complain loudly. And they complain to the department chair. If you tell them that the material needed for a particular assignment is not in the text and that they need to look it up, they complain about it. If you present material in class that is not in the book they complain about it. But if you DON'T cover material that IS in the book and that is needed for an assignment or on the exam, even though you've specifically told them that, they complain about it. And it doesn't matter if it is a printed book or not. There are simply a lot of students (not all, to be sure) that have an entitlement attitude and believe that everything should be handed to them on a silver platter. I've had students complain about homework problems because we didn't work a problem just like it in class, even when the text DID work one just like it.

I generally give a review sheet before exams that has a couple dozen problems on it and tell them that a minimum of 25% of the points on the exam will come from the review sheet verbatim. I generally pull anywhere from 50% to 75% from the sheet. It makes no discernible difference. I go over problems that a significant portion of the class missed on one exam and tell them that they can expect to see that problem revisited on the next exam, yet the performance is often only marginally better -- and that applies to problems that appear on every single exam throughout the semester!