Having serious trouble finding motivation for school...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by thakid87, Jan 31, 2011.

1. thakid87

Thread Starter Active Member

May 23, 2009
    I've always enjoyed learning, but family and work are taking that drive out of me. I can't seem to get enough motivation to sit down and actually learn a subject. I am taking two courses this semester at a local university and the start is not going so great...

O_O

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Drive down the interstate exits and look at the homeless hanging signs out for donations or "will work for food".

Think hard. Over half of Americans are a market crash away from being in the same spot.

3. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    Some of my students get that way sometimes, and they're sick of hearing me
    say"Knowledge is power". I just ask them to think about all the jobs they've had in the past. That usually motivates them.
    Time to keep outside influences from holding you back.

4. thakid87

May 23, 2009
    Sad thing is I know all of this. I am going to get a rest and give it another tomorrow night.

Good night all...

5. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I live near Miami can you name the school,may be I can give some advise.
    Do you still have your job selling generator parts. I offered help,you waiting
    for a miracal.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. thakid87

May 23, 2009
    Yea, I attend FIU. I actually just got a peomotion at work. I work near Miramar. Do you attend school?

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    You have a job,you should be able to relax a little going to school.
    You can talk to your professor about your needs,find out out
    how good he is at listening.Take It step by step,write you a
    list of things that bother you. So you have a job that great.
    Where is the pressure.The more you are willing to share,the
    more guys will give there opinion. FIU is that off U.S. 1 and
    175 street. That a tough traffic area to go to school and work.
    Depends on the time of school and work. Waiting, sorry I've
    got to hit the road,got things to do.I feel bad living so close
    and not being able to help.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  8. mbohuntr

Apr 6, 2009
    I just finished 4 years of using vacation to get to class, giving up fun stuff for study, and locking myself in the office with earplugs to pass physics. I am very close to being chosen for the next openings in maintanence. (They now require a degree) :D

Focus on the prize, not the journey... The degree means a serious look over by employers.

9. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    A very good friend of mine faced the same dilemma. He was very bright. His father was a physician, but he was not motivated to follow that path early on. I few years later, I asked what made him change his mind. Well, he had joined the army, and while sitting in the Georgia mud, wet from head to toe, and keeping guard for cotton mouths, he decided school wasn't so bad.

Just consider your options. If you aren't convinced by that, just try stopping sniper bullets and dodging IED's.

John

10. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    How are you doing today,you are not saying much.What are you wanting to hear.

11. thakid87

May 23, 2009
    I'm doing good. I'm not looking to hear anything in particular. I know I need to do good in school, I have to get my degree. It will be another promotion at work, basically. It will jump up to senior management, I'm just a bit overwhelmed. I guess it was just a weak attempt at venting...

12. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    Wanna vent?
    go smash something up with a nice hammer (with proper safety equipment of course)
    or chop wood or chop down a tree or something along those lines
    it works :)