Having problems with FM reception

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
I have noticed over the past couple of days that FM reception (especially in stereo) on my radio goes down quite a bit during the night time. During the day time I get every station as clear as a bell. Is there something wrong here or have i gone nuts :confused:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I know what goes wrong with outdoor antennas. Do you have one connected to your radio?

If not, maybe changes in the atmosphere?
Are you trying to get WLS in Chicago?

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
I know what goes wrong with outdoor antennas. Do you have one connected to your radio?

If not, maybe changes in the atmosphere?
Are you trying to get WLS in Chicago?
I have a dipole antenna connected to my radio.

Im trying to get 106.9 KLUB in victoria, TX. I live in the country, but I usually get pretty good reception during the daytime.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You might try calling the station and asking that question. Many stations reduce their transmitted power at night.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If the dipole antenna is outside, look for cracks in the twinlead wire. Dew gets into the cracks.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You might just wind up with an outdoor antenna, and if that happens, it could be anything from a long wire tied to a tree, to your dipole taped to a piece of PVC pipe and hoisted up broadside to Victoria, to a TV antenna. (The FM broadcast band is between channels 6 and 7 on the TV frequencies and TV antennas are directional.)

ps, outdoor antennas laugh at indoor antennas and take their lunch money.

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
You might try calling the station and asking that question. Many stations reduce their transmitted power at night.
This is mostly done with MF AM stations,as their coverage is greater at night.
Not commonly done with VHF FM stations as normally their daytime & night time coverage is identical.

That said,as it is summer in your part of the world,you may be receiving the station you require by means of tropospheric ducting,especially if the station is a fair distance away.
This is less likely in the evening.