have you been fooled today?

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Our family has two stories related to electricity that concern someone getting fooled...

The first is my oldest daughter. Just after she got married she was still working and rushing to get off to work one morning. She was listening to the radio and (since it was April 1st), the DJ said to remember to cover up your phones with a towel, as they would be blowing out the phone lines that day and it would limit the dust blowing around the house. My daughter is not, shall we say, mechanically inclined, so she dutifully put towels over all the phones. When her husband got home that night, he wondered what the hell towels were over the phone for. The story got out and she routinely gets ribbed about it.

Just after my wife and I were married, we had some electrical problem in the house. I was thinking out loud about different things and my wife, in complete innocence, pointed to one of the duplex power outlets and wondered if electricity could be leaking out from it, since it was uncovered. She said my jaw dropped and I stared at her with an incredible expression on my face. She had me on the hook and played me for a little while before letting me go. It's little events like this that taught me how playful she is -- and led to "getting" the oldest daughter one morning, one of the best practical jokes ever. But that's a story for another time.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
My Dad was a bit tough to fool about electrical things, as he was a district manager for Square D company before he retired.

However, in the early 1990's they bought a house that had a swimming pool. The pool had a light powered by 120v that was in the deep end, about halfway down the side of the pool. It really looked nice at night with the light on.

To play a joke on him, I started speculating about how would one change the light bulb when it eventually burned out, and lead him to the conclusion that the pool would have to be drained! The joke kind of backfired, because after that, nobody was allowed to turn on the pool light...

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
That reminds of an incident dated to my industrial training days.

I was assigned to TX of then current transmitter station of our telecom industry ''Dhiraagu', which was located on a separate island called Vilingili near Male', distance was a 3 min trip by sea.

Me and another trainee from my section was assigned for a month to that place and we would go there each day at 0800 to 1700 Hrs.

One day we were given a PSU to fix, since I was the genius one in the whole batch I found the fault pretty easily. The supply had a leaky filter cap.
So I told my colleague to change it and after changing he said the supply is still lower than 50% percent of the rated Voltage.
Naturally I checked and it was low. I was looking at it really close after the voltage check thinking what could be wrong when suddenly..
BAAAAAAAAAANG !!.
The Huge capacitor blew right in my face, I was literally inches away from it.
My colleague nearly died of laughing.
He had soldered the cap in reverse.
I was covered in those cotton like stuff that is used in the cap.

Luckily no one got injured.

Last edited:

teravenous

Joined Mar 29, 2010
haha :) I had a math exam today. It was like a joke :) So i can say that yes, i have fooled :)

footnote: I'll take 90 or much more in 100 ;)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Many years ago one of my co-workers had just completed building a rather complicated piece of test equipment, and was preparing to power it on.

I went to the test bench that was behind his, and surreptitiously slid a length of clear plastic tubing through a gap in the panel that separated the test benches, so that it ended just inside his project's enclosure.

He nervously flipped the power switch on, and I simultaneously blew a lungful of cigarette smoke through the tube into his project. It looked like a 4-alarm fire. :eek:

My co-worker snapped the switch off, whooped and hollered and jumped all over the place. Once he realized what I'd done, he started calling me every dirty name he could think of, even making a few up in the process. I didn't care, I was laughing too hard. :D

Last edited: